Good Windows software to mirror folder, not automatic only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerevarine

Dabbler
I'm still new to this, and decided that I want to mirror my music from my PC to my NAS and not back it up for two reasons: 1. Backups usually compress, I want the files to also be shared in Plex from my NAS. 2. I still want it backed up, and also want to keep them on my PC for main usage. And simly keep my PC folders organized.

And since I let drives spin down on my NAS I want to set up what folders to mirror, and with as few clicks/commands as possible just launch the mirroring any time I feel it neccessary. Not automatically.

What software should I use for this?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You want to do it on a Windows box?

If that's the case, the product you want is called "SyncBackFree" by 2brightsparks software.

mjws00

Guru
I've used both syncbackfree and 'create synchronicity'. Both will do what you ask their interfaces and styles are a little different.

I run in a similar mode. I keep everything local, and just touch the button to sync up the NAS when I feel like it.

Nerevarine

Dabbler
Thank you fellas! I tried SyncBackFree and it seems to be just what I was after.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Some versions of windows have a built-in tool called robocopy. It's easy to script. Very lightweight and doesn't require 3rd party software.

Is it just me or does windows seem like it's becoming more and more like *nix. I spend almost more time on windows shell than the GUI some days.

diedrichg

Wizard
FreeFileSync has continuous monitoring ability. You could also utilize the BTSync or Syncthing FreeNAS plugins and Windows clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.