Noob: I want to merge folders (from/to different vdev) like cut/paste in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

esamett

Patron
I have done a fairly deep dive with Google and forums and don't have a clear answer to what should be a simple (I hope) question. I am upgrading my NAS with new larger drives and will be moving big (15TB) file structures around to make it happen. Some folders are divided between two existing smaller vdev/volumes. I want to merge them together on the new volume in manner similar to cut/paste with Windows where you say "yes" to merge folders when similar folder names are found. I could use my Windows PC to do this but I like the idea of using transfer from FreeNAS console to keep the data off the Network and to make use of ZFS and my ECC Ram to minimize errors.

I have researched mv, rsync and copy and have not found a clear answer. The rsync online manual is confusing: stating that with the -a flag there will be a recursive folder merging, yet there is a -r flag. I haven't found posted examples of what I want to do. I don't want to lose my data and am willing to do experiments if needed. I would prefer if a FreeBSD guru can chime in and set me straight.

Thanks in advance,

evan

esamett

Patron
Thank you fractal. Can you confirm the proper usage for my command?

fracai

Guru
Generally it should just be: rsync -a <source> <destination>

I usually use '-Pva' as that turns on progress, resuming partial transfers, and increases verbosity. "partial transfers" is useful if you need to stop the transfer while it's working on a large file.

Also note that where Windows will prompt you if any files would need to be replaced, rsync will assume they're the same and just replace the file. As long as that's your intended use you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.