Dataset/Sharing Question [Newbie]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi, I’m new to FreeNAS and am currently playing with it in a Virtual environment (I want to get used to it before I purchase hardware), and am slightly confused about datasets and sharing!

I’ve created a volume called volume1, which has a dataset called downloads (default options, except Windows ACL). I need the data in this dataset accessible by all users on the network (but they are not allowed to delete/add files), so I have created a Windows (CIFS) Share called downloads (default options, but with Export Read Only and Allow Guest Access ticked), which points to this dataset.

I have tested this, and any PC on the network is able to connect to this share, and access the files without altering them (which is what I need), however I have one user (Me!) who needs to be able to create/add files within the dataset.

How do I go about doing this? At the moment I have just created another CIFS share which points to the top-level volume, and added the user to Auxiliary group wheel.

Is this the way to do it, or is there a better way?

Thanks, Jonathan

diedrichg

Wizard
Datasets are ways of segregating directory structures so that you can set specific user permissions.

Basically:
Ted and Bob can read but not write to "downloads"

Ted can read/write to "ted" but Bob can not

Bob can read/write to "bob" but Ted can not

Ted & Bob can read/write to "family"

Do a search of the forums, there are much better explanations and examples but this should get you started.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Uh, datasets bring nothing to the table in regards to user permissions that a folder doesn't. What datasets *do* allow you to do is have a whole different set of ZFS properties and isolate your data for ZFS snapshots/replication.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
This is a great question I just never asked.

Dlukky

Dabbler
Have u tried changing the permissions on a windows machine and let windows handle it not freenas?

Hazimil

Contributor
cyberjock said:
Uh, datasets bring nothing to the table in regards to user permissions that a folder doesn't. What datasets *do* allow you to do is have a whole different set of ZFS properties and isolate your data for ZFS snapshots/replication.

So I could have just one dataset (to not complicate matters), create some folders and manage it via shares?

Dlukky said:
Have u tried changing the permissions on a windows machine and let windows handle it not freenas?

No, I was hoping to do it all from within FreeNAS, that way I only need to do one set of administration.

Jonathan

alexg

Contributor
Windows "previous version" feature only works at the dataset level. So, if you create a CIFS that is a sub-directory and not a dataset, it will not work

Status
Not open for further replies.