what performance limits (r/w, ios) select for ssd storing VMs images

phier

Patron
Hello,
I want to use VMs (bhyve, esxi) and i am wondering what is the best drive to store these images on? I mean the VMs images will be booted/running, and i will create snapshots (as part of the backup) and these snapshots will be moved later on to truenas dataset (3.5" sata drives)

Is it possible to say what interface sata/nvme and which brand/ is the best fit? Or what specific parameter is important to choose the proper candidate from the drives listed below (all are 2TB)

thanks!

Samsung SSD 870 EVO Form Factor 2.5 Inch Intelligent TurboWrite, Magician 6 Software, Black​

Samsung MZ-V7E2T0BW 970 EVO 2TB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD Black​

Samsung MZ-V7S2T0BW SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2 Internal NVMe SSD (up to 3.500 MB/s)​

Crucial P5 Plus CT2000P5PSSD8 2 TB Solid State Drive (PCIe 4.0, 3D NAND, NVMe, M.2), up to 6600 MB/s​

WD_BLACK SN850 2TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD with Heatsink; PCIe Gen4 Technology; Read Speeds up to 7000 MB/s; M.2 2280, 3D NAND​

phier

Patron
all of them have
1200 TBW so seems regardin the lifetime same ... the only difference is
Read/ Write speed

and based on the price i think the Crucial P5 is the best one to go ...

but in reality regardin the brand does it really matter if its Crucial or Samsung or its only about spec... ie TBW/ Read/Write?

thanks

phier

Patron
can anyone chime in ?

Does it make any sense to use ssd drives with high speeds/ios for VM storage?
I mean drives as samsung pro 980, or cheaper (Slower) drives like samsung evo plus are enough?

thanks