What is the real right way to install nextcloud plugin?

_noble_six_

Dabbler
Tried to install nextcloud plugin for a couple of times, each time getting different results.

FreeNAS-11.3-U5

First time I tried installing nextcloud plugin it worked automatically.
I was able to log as ncadmin, created users and tried syncing some files.
But there was no Apps store or something, so I reinstalled.

Second time I had to configure trusted_domains for my LAN IP. This part with trusted_domains I configured, but still no good.
Now I have "Internal Server Error" at the face...

1639427674321.png

I've checked the logs but can't figure out what is missing.

Altogether I wonder - what is the right way to install and configure nextcloud plugin with FreeNAS.
There must to be some guide, because
- trusted_domains
- need to set a database like MySQL
- maybe something else

I am fine to configure nix software, such as databases, nginx etc. Just looking for an ultimate guide on this one.

Is it expected that installing nextcloud plugin brings it fully operational out of the box, or it wont work without additional configuration?

_noble_six_

Dabbler
Below is the tail of /var/log/nextcloud/nextcloud.log
I find it unreadable and it doesn't give me any hint what's wrong...

1639428796142.png

_noble_six_

Dabbler
Well, after yet another reinstall and setting trusted_domains i am getting 500 to the face:

Internal Server Error​

The server was unable to complete your request.
If this happens again, please send the technical details below to the server administrator.
More details can be found in the server log.

Technical details​

• Remote Address: 192.168.3.101
  • Request ID: W9OnAdJa0dQc32XaByFs
This repeats even if I reinstall.

_noble_six_

Dabbler
I've created a dedicated post about the exact problem I am having now

I wish to leave this post in seek for a guide on nextcloud installation as its not starting out of the box.

_noble_six_

Dabbler
I was able to make NC plugin work after updating my box to TrueNAS-12.0-U7.

Still looking for a guide how to continue setting up NC (security and reliability).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
That guide is the Nextloud documentation.

Sulli1432

Cadet

_noble_six_

Hi

Did you manage to find a comprehensive guide?

I've edited the Trusted Domain, however, I'm now getting this error...

The PHP OPcache module is not properly configured - The OPcache interned strings buffer is nearly full.

Sorry I'm new at code, so if you have exact commands I'd eternally grateful!

Kindest Regards

J

danb35

Hall of Famer
The correct way to set up the plugin is to not use the plugin--plugins as an ecosystem are badly broken and almost entirely unmaintained. See:

The valid options to install Nextcloud are:
  • Create a jail and install it manually
  • Use a script like mine
  • Upgrade/sidegrade to SCALE and use the app ecosystem there

Sulli1432

Cadet
The correct way to set up the plugin is to not use the plugin--plugins as an ecosystem are badly broken and almost entirely unmaintained. See:

The valid options to install Nextcloud are:
  • Create a jail and install it manually
  • Use a script like mine
  • Upgrade/sidegrade to SCALE and use the app ecosystem there
Hi danb35

Thanks for getting back to me so fast...

It's a self-build, can I change over to Scale?

Also, assume I'm going to have to destroy all the Jails and Start from scratch?? :(

I don't mind as long as it will work this time!!

Regards

James

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's a self-build, can I change over to Scale?
Sure, SCALE runs on commodity hardware just like CORE--and probably with better hardware compatibility. Your system configuration, pool, datasets, users, shares, etc., will all migrate over. What won't are jails.
Also, assume I'm going to have to destroy all the Jails and Start from scratch?? :(
Correct; SCALE uses apps instead. You may be able to migrate config files/data/metadata from your jails to the apps, but that would be a very manual process.

Sulli1432

Cadet
The manual process sounds intimidating!!

Just watching Tom at Lawrence systems on Migration, ant tips?

Thanks

James

Sulli1432

Cadet
Hi

I have updated to Truenas Scale, Volume added, GUI bound to new IP, almost so far so good!

I can't seem to be able to get Nextcloud to bind to a new Static address.

There is a 4 port nic installed, so is it better to put that into LACP or a port per application?

I'm running PfSense with a managed Netgear Switch inbetween.

Don't seem to be able to get it into LACP either??

Can anyone help, Please?

Regards

James

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can't seem to be able to get Nextcloud to bind to a new Static address.
The "normal" scenario for apps under SCALE is to run on a unique port on the host's IP address; I'm not sure if it's possible to have an app listen on a different IP. I'd guess it is, but no real idea how it'd be configured. It'd probably be better to start a separate thread on this question.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Sure, SCALE runs on commodity hardware just like CORE
Just to avoid misunderstandings: Commodity hardware is meant as non-proprietary and does not mean any left-over hardware that people have lying around. The hardware guide resource (see "Recommended readings" in my signature) has a lot of great content here.

The bottom line is that standard server-grade hardware works well. Gaming boards, on the other hand, tend to cause problems. As do Realtek NICs, to name the elephant in the room.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Commodity hardware is meant as non-proprietary and does not mean any left-over hardware that people have lying around.
Agreed, that's a good clarification.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'd like to add that installing application software in a FreeBSD jail is much much less scary and complicated than some people think. If you have some command line and e.g. Linux experience, that is.

For Nextcloud it is essentially

- create jail
- set up basics: name resolution, time zone, direct SSH login to the jail
- pkg install php74-nextcloud

The last command installs mysql80-client so we need the matching database server

- pkg install mysql80-server

Then decide if you want to run Apache, NginX or Caddy and e.g.

- pkg install nginx

Enable and start services, create database according to Nextcloud documents, copy Nginx configuration template and adjust paths - that's most of "it". You will be able to access the web interface after these steps. Nextcloud will then tell you about missing PHP modules ... easy, pkg install ...

The final step is HTTPS. I use an Apache reverse proxy for all my ingress, but OPNsense/pfSense with HAproxy or Caddy will work just as well. There's documentation on reverse proxy configuration from Nextcloud, too.

Kind regards,
Patrick

Sulli1432

Cadet
Well guys I'm pleased to announce that Scale is fully up and running on Proprietary hardware.

The LACP setup was a pain and had to do it from the Bios screen by allocating a static route,

putting the other connections into LACP and then adding the last one, reboot and wooohooo!!

All the Apps and shares work, Running like a Dream!!

Many thanks for your input to help me along, Kudos to you all.

Kindest regards

James