What is the default root password and how to change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekkie

Patron
The wiki says you should change the default root password (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Users) which is great advice except no matter what I enter through the UI as the root password it doesn't change.

And what is the default root password anyway?

ProtoSD

MVP
The default password is 'freenas', but I think you might be correct about it not changing. I was able to change it in 8.0, but in 8.01 beta 4, I keep having to use the default and I could swear I changed it. I'll have to try again just to be sure now.

tropic

Dabbler
Strange. I just changed the root password in 8.0.1 beta4 via the UI, and it persisted through a reboot. Changing it via SSH console only works until the NAS is restarted.

Tekkie

Patron
@protosd you sure the default 'root' password is freenas? it certainly is for the Admin login for the UI, but root?

tropic

Dabbler
The default root password is freenas.

Tekkie

Patron
Hhmm... weird... I can't login using putty over ssh to my freenas box using 'root' with either the default nor 'modified' passwords.

Khue

Cadet
Not too familiar with FreeNAS yet, but without configuring it, sometimes the sshd_config is setup to deny root login access. On default installs you typically have to SSH as a user and the su - to root access... Again, new to FreeNAS so take what I am saying with a grain of salt.

Tekkie

Patron
Ah yes... that's a good point will give it a good later today.

thx

warri

Guru
Services - SSH - Setting: Login as Root with password

Tekkie

Patron
Yeah found that option yesterday as well :)

jamesclavel

Cadet
hi guys, i tried changing "root" password by issuing a "passwd" in command line for freenas 8. after rebooting the "root" password turns back again to the default "freenas"... do you encounter the same problem? any solution? i wanted to change root password. thanks.

ProtoSD

MVP
You can't change it this way because it doesn't update the FreeNAS database with all the settings. You need to do it from the GUI only.

sadaunhe

Cadet
I restored my FREENAS 8.0.2 install to the defaults. Now I cannot change the admin password. It will accept neither "freenas" nor my old admin password. Now what?

angellayne

Cadet
New to freenes myself but I believe you can reset the admin password from the console.

sadaunhe

Cadet
Thanks for replying. If I understand the terminology...and that's not a given...that's what I've been trying to do. To be specific, I have been using the WebGUI, since I installed FreeNAS. I botched the setup, so I restored the defaults. I then got an alert via the WebGUI that the admin password needed to be reset. That's when I ran into the problem. The system will accept neither "freenas" nor my previous admin password. I can change the admin user back and forth with no problems. But the password? Not so much. Should I try to restore the defaults again? Or do I need to connect directly to the FreeNAS box?

I've been playing Batman: Arkham City. Great game!

angellayne

Cadet
Ok, I think I understand what your trying to do now. This is stupid I know but I'm curious, have you tried just leaving the old password blank and putting in your new password when you go to change it in the GUI?

That is an amazing game I've heard, never tried it myself though... :0)

sadaunhe

Cadet
Not so stupid...at least not so stupid that I hadn't tried it. :smile: Thanks, again, for trying to help. If all else fails, I'll just reinstall the ISO. That should fix the problem...I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.