root GUI password keeps resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pttymuth

Dabbler
Hey diedrichg, the closest thing to that in 9.2.1.5-RELEASE is the "Disable password login" feature. For all my users that option is unchecked.

pttymuth

Dabbler
Wow OK. Well apparently it's the "root" user that works for the web UI instead of the "admin" user. So my guess is that the entire "admin" user was superseded? At least it works now.

diedrichg

Wizard
Root user - that's the user that you need to make sure "disable password login" is disabled. This was my issue when I upgraded.

rogerh

Guru
Root user - that's the user that you need to make sure "disable password login" is disabled. This was my issue when I upgraded.

I've been reading the 9.2.1 manual and it says:

"NOTE: it is important to set the email address for the built-in root user account as important system messages are sent to the root user. For security reasons, password logins are disabled for the root account and changing this setting is highly discouraged."

Is this then a mistake?

rogerh

diedrichg

Wizard
I don't recall which version switched to root as the only user that is able to login, but that is the only option now.

I remember reading that too; which is why it took me several weeks to realize why I couldn't set the password for the gui login (root user login was disabled). I agree, this is VERY misleading and ultimately a terrible security choice by the devs.

diedrichg

Wizard
Just to rehash this issue since it just happened to me again today! This time I narrowed it down to the Firefox cache. I don't know if this was due to a Firefox version upgrade or what but it was definitely Firefox as I could access the GUI through Chrome after resetting the password.

Anyways - try clearing your browser's cache, close the browser and reopen it. Try your login again. If that doesn't work then try resetting the password locally and try logging in again.

Status
Not open for further replies.