What exactly is backed up in the "save config"backup file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wim Mistiaen

Dabbler
Hey,

To clarify, I know it is pretty obvious settings are saved (tasks, pool layout, credentials, users/groups, ...), but I'm wondering whether jails (both their template/base OS/customization) and the freenas version is also saved.

It seems unlikely the latter is, and that's ok, you can always boot to an older version (if no new ZFS flags have been introduced etc), and if you deleted it, reinstall it. But I'm not so sure about the jails. I'm asking because i recently upgraded to freenas 11.1, and when trying to update my ports, it notified me the FreeBSD version is no longer supported. This is more a FreeBSD thing, rather than a Freenas, since the jails are still using an 11.0 template, and FreeBSD 11.0 is no longer supported by ports. https://www.freebsd.org/portmgr/policies_eol.html

It's ok for me right now, as i could override the unsupported version issue, but it got me thinking. I have no backups from my system, other than the "save config" files. And these being not so large in size, i can hardly imagine they include an entire jail config (base OS+customizations made therein). What if the override did not work out. Was there any way to recover my jail? or was I doomed to recreate it in iocage, which is using 11.1?

tl;dr: If I only got the config database as backup, will I be able to recreate my system, or at least my jails, from the current/a new install, using the same hardware?

danb35

Hall of Famer
but I'm wondering whether jails (both their template/base OS/customization)
The only thing about the jails that's part of the config file is their path and network configuration (i.e., the stuff entered in Jails -> Configuration in the GUI). The jails themselves live on your pool.

Wim Mistiaen

Dabbler
....that actually makes sense... So if i want to backup my jails, i need to backup my jail pool...

thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The jails dataset, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.