What is included in the saved config db?

indivision

Guru
I'm planning a server rebuild to get into new hardware.

I plan on copying the data out and then back into the new hardware via replication.

The OS is installed on a mirrored pair of USB. I was thinking about doing a clean install of TrueNAS 12 and applying a previously saved config file to restore past settings.

But, I'm not sure what, if anything, those two processes may miss and will need reconfiguration? Would jails be covered in replication? What about Cloud Sync Tasks? Users? Groups? Shares? Permissions?

I checked the documentation but it doesn't really say what "config" actually covers specifically.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Would jails be covered in replication?
The storage vdev that holds the jails replicates with the rest of the data, when you migrate pool data, but I have never had success with bringing jails back after copying the pool and restoring the saved config database. The config database (in my case) did not reconfigure the jails.
Mind you, that was under the older warden jails infrastructure. I have not had to do this with the new iocage jails.

Hopefully there will be more users adding their experience.

indivision

Guru
Thank you. That is good to know. I think I can survive rebuilding the jails as I don't do anything too complex there. (And I will give replicating them a shot and report back as I am on TrueNAS Core with updated jail infrastructure.)

What about cloud sync, users/groups, shares, permissions, etc.? Is that all in the config db?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What about cloud sync, users/groups, shares, permissions, etc.? Is that all in the config db?
All those things are in the config db, but I have not used cloud sync so I can't say if it successfully transfers. I think it should.

indivision

Guru
Cool. Thank you for confirming.

I can probably re-build cloud sync if necessary. But, I worry that something could go wrong with the file syncing if its off (re-uploading all files, etc.).

Adrian

Contributor
Passwords and encryption keys are only included in the config backup if you tick the boxes.
SSH keys in /root/.ssh are NOT backed up.

indivision

Guru
Thank you. I will be sure to tick those boxes. I think it's ok if I lose the SSH keys because I'm not using them for anything automated currently. Or, are those used for the cloud sync?

A related question: If I restore a saved config, create a brand new pool and then restore my data from backup with cloud sync, will it create the shares and related permissions for all the files?

It seems like that would be impossible since the disks/data would be independent of the OS and its config... If I'm correct about that, how can I retain all of that?