Preserving Data/Config While Changing Storage Controller

keelbeelveel

Cadet
I've been working on my first FreeNAS server for about a month and a half now. I'm fairly new to a lot of this stuff but with the help of the manual and the forum I've been able to find my way around. I was just finishing up configuration, setting up snapshot tasks, etc. for the system to be deployed at our office later this week, when I realized smartd was not running. After doing some reading (https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-m-a-r-t-on-a-hardware-raid-controller.19870/) I have come to realize that I probably shouldn't be using a Hardware RAID controller.

Specs:
Intel Xeon E 2146 CPU
Supermicro X11SCL-F-O Motherboard
4 Seagate Exos 6TB HDDs (Each configured in RAID 0 on LSI Logic RAID Controller, then all 4 VDs are in an encrypted RAIDZ2 pool through FreeNAS)
Intel 512GB 760p SSD Boot Drive
2x Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC RAM

I know now that the LSI RAID controller is going to be a problem, so I want to remove it from the build, but at the same time, I just spent several hours over the last few weeks manually setting up dozens of accounts (we don't use an Active Directory), correcting permissions in datasets, shares, and getting everything good to go, and I don't want to lose all my work. I know the data on the hard drives will most likely be lost when the raid controller is removed. Fortunately, there is no data on the system yet so I don't actually care about preserving the content of the array, just the pools themselves. What is the best way I can backup and easily redeploy all my accounts, datasets, shares, etc? If I save the boot environment and take a snapshot, will that be saved to my system dataset (on the SSD) so I can just connect the drives and roll back, or do I have to do extra work to make sure the snapshots are saved outside of the pool I will be losing?

My plan is:
- Save Boot Environment
- Recursive Snapshot of Pool, saved to either system dataset (on boot SSD) or removable storage
- Remove RAID Controller and Reconnect Drives through motherboard
- Rollback/Restore Boot environment (unnecessary?)

And then would I have to reconfigure the disks into a pool and rollback the snapshot? Or will rolling back the snapshot automatically reconfigure the pool? Am I missing any other steps? Premature thanks for any help.

D

dlavigne

Did you decide upon the solution to implement? If so, did it work out?

keelbeelveel

Cadet
I lost the pool after removing the hardware raid controller. Ended up formatting pools from scratch. Account data was not lost.