FreeNAS mpt1: soft reset failed device not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enekko

Cadet
Hello.
I have the subject error and FreeNAS not booting.
My build is 3 sas controller and 4 disk on each controller, one of the controllers died but the disk are OK, since a new controller cant reach to me until 3 weeks, i wonder if i could try the onboard controller, i connected the disk who were attached to the broken controller and the system detects all 12 disks at boot, but FreeNAS refuses to boot at it says don't find the disk and only sees 8.

What can i do?

1. Just wait 3 weeks for a new controller.
2. Try to reconfigure FreeNAS so it can use onboard sata controller instead of broken sas one. HOw i can do that? Im noob on FreeNAS command line.
3. Install a fresh clean install and import the old config, i have backups, will the installer detect my pool and import it?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
The first thing you can do is follow our forum rules so we can provide you some good assistance. Report all your hardware specs and what version of FreeNAS you are using.

Without knowing the motherboard you have or how your system is configured (you could be using ESXi) I will provide you the basic info assuming yo uhave a basic motherboard.

You are correct, if you plug in your SATA cables into the motherboard directly, typically the motherboard would recognize the hard drives.

i connected the disk who were atttached to the broken controller and the system detects all 12 disks at boot
So this is the good part, the motherboard recognizes the drives.

but freenas refuses to boot at it says dont find the disk and only sees 8.
This statement is confusing. You start with "freenas refuses to boot" which tells me that the system didn't boot. But then you have "it says don't find the disk and only sees 8" so I'm confused, did FreeNAS boot and see 8 drives or did it not boot at all? Very confusing.

I'm making an assumption here and going to say that FreeNAS didn't boot and you recieved a message indicating something like "This disk is not bootable" or similar. This means that the computer doesn't know which drive to boot from and is normal. You will need to go into the motherboard BIOS and select the boot device. Once that is done I would expect freeNAS to boot normally and mount all your drives without issue. Once you have this done, manually perform a scrub as a sanity check.

Good Luck

Enekko

Cadet
Sorry, my bad.
The server is a dedicated HP proliant, 16 gb ddr3 ecc non esxi i know they don't recommend to install FreeNAS on a VM with 3 Dell i5 cards, one of them failed. But whatever i remembered i had another server on storage with the same card, so i installed it on the NAS, detected it and is working again without issues, i have order 2 more cards if another fails again, i must do some test, and after a backup ill try to attach the disks again to the internal sata ports (configured as non raid) to see if FreeNAS if able to detect and boot.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.