What does this email mean? Subject: SMART error (FailedReadSmartErrorLog) detected on host: freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matdif

Explorer
I have nine hard drives running in my tests. 8 for use plus one for an extra. When I use the top 3 ports on the right I am fine. Using any more then that causes error. The left side is fine to use every slot.

From what I could see left was Intel right was Marvell. The top slots being the 3.0. So maybe that Marvel sata2 was only good for one drive and multiple cause interference.

I am getting a board back today and was hoping for it to just work but with everything I read it doesnt seem likely. This board has everything else I need and I dont see better options so Ill be using a pcie raid card.

MDKRUSH

Explorer
My experience with this error:
I had 3 drives on left side as one zpool and 3 on right as one zpool. Never got the error one time. About 3 months ago I got 3 more matching drives and setup 6 on the 6 all white SATA ports in a row. After connecting I got the error right away on 5 of 6 drives (several times). I ran smart long tests with no errors. I went in BIOS and turned off booting from all drives (at the time didn't know it would help). I think I may have gotten the error one or two more times, can't remember. That all happened in two days. Ever since then I have not received the error again. Not sure why, have not done anything else... It's been over two months with no more errors...

FailedReadSmartErrorLog

Johannez

Explorer
I can confirm the 4 Marvell ports cause troubles.
yesterday i placed 2 SSD's on it and put some stress on it and i gotten a few crashes (storage window in FreeNAS not loading and plugins crashed).
Today i am going to switch some hdd's around to the other NAS and hook up the SSD's to the 2 x sata Marvell controller and check if the problems disappear.

Edit: my problem where a plugin/jail related problem. Not the controller.
So for now i have to say the Marvell controllers still work without problems for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.