WEBGUI Initial Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiew123

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I am new to FREENAS gathered lots of tutorials and info but am already stuck.

I was following a guide, successfuly installed FREENAS, and in the guide it said its best to change to static IP as it was 0.0.0.0. So i successfuly changed it to 192.168.1.1. Plugged in ethernet cable from my NAS system to my other comp. Went into Firefox and typed in the address and it cannot find server. I have tried googling etc, but can only find info on webgui problems once people are up and running.

In the guide it simply says, type in address in firefox browser.

I am stumped and wondering if anyone could point me into the right direction.

Much apreciated

EDIT: i installed via CD that burned from the ISO. I have seen USB's mentioned, should i have installed via usb or something?

D

dlavigne

Which Guide?

Is there a DHCP server on the network? If so, don't set a static IP. If it's not picking up an address from the server, you need to troubleshoot why.

jamiew123

Dabbler
oh god i cant remember where it was from now, i have several lol.

And i dnt have a DHCP server on the 'network' i only have the NAS machine and another one i got out just so i could go on the browser to look at the web GUI. I put an ethernet straight from the NAS ethernet port to my second machines ethernet port with the browser. Am i missing something crucial?

bellow where the web URL is stated:

'freenas ntpd_initres[1558]: host name not found : 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org'

and then this:

'freenas ntpd_initres[1558]: host name not found : 1.freebsd.pool.ntp.org'

'freenas ntpd_initres[1558]: host name not found : 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org'

and then back to '0'

thanks for your reply

D

dlavigne

In that case, you do need to use static IPs and ensure that the IPs that you choose for the two systems live on the same network/subnet. If the machines are in the same network IP address-wise and can not ping each other, check your network cable. Depending upon the age of the hardware, you might need a cross-over cable to go directly between two systems, though any modern hardware should automatically do that for you.

jamiew123

Dabbler
Ok im struggling to get to grips with this. Am i correct in saying that i have now set my IP to static (192.168.1.1). And i had already made the subnet mask 255.255.255.0, what do i have to on the 'browser' machine to ensure that it can talk?

and one machine is new, one is about 5 years old

jamiew123

Dabbler
the 192.168.1.1 i set up in the ip4 setting, and the ip6 setting i left alone as i didnt know what it was

D

dlavigne

Those two computers do not have IP addresses in the same network which is why it is not working. If that does not make sense to you, you need to find a good TCP/IP tutorial on the Internet that helps you to understand TCP/IP networking.

jamiew123

Dabbler
i have read tuts but i find it very hard learning from reading, and learn better by physically doing and changing things.

So what you are saying is that i have to do the following:

change the NAS ip to from this 192.168.1.1 to something like this: 169.254.191.79 ( as the browser comp is 169.254.191.78)

and to change the sub mask so that they are the same on both machines.

Thankyou

jamiew123

Dabbler
ok so i did what i said above, and now the connection went from 'limited' with a warning sign to fully connected and happy. But entering the NAS ip address into the 'browser' machine still dosnt work :(

I changed the browser machine's ip and mask to match that of the NAS machine

URL for GUI still not working

warri

Guru
Try putting both computers into 192.168.1.x with sub net mask 255.255.255.0.
Double check that there is no firewall blocking the network.

Alternatively, just put a router into the network (doesn't even have to be connected to the internet), and plug your computers in. Then activate automatic IP configuration for both computers and check that DHCP is enabled in the router. Both computers should automatically get an IP address then.

jamiew123

Dabbler
thanks allot for your reply, ill give that ago, and i have disabled the firewall on the browser comp. if still no luck i think ill introduce a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.