WEB GUI initial problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiew123

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I am new to FREENAS gathered lots of tutorials and info but am already stuck.

I was following a guide, successfuly installed FREENAS, and in the guide it said its best to change to static IP as it was 0.0.0.0. So i successfuly changed it to 192.168.1.1. Plugged in ethernet cable from my NAS system to my other comp. Went into Firefox and typed in the address and it cannot find server. I have tried googling etc, but can only find info on webgui problems once people are up and running.

In the guide it simply says, type in address in firefox browser.

I am stumped and wondering if anyone could point me into the right direction.

Much apreciated

EDIT: i installed via CD that burned from the ISO. I have seen USB's mentioned, should i have installed via usb or something?

warri

Guru
If you only have a direct connection between NAS and PC, you need to manually setup both ends. Did you assign a static IP to your PC? You need to set it to 192.168.1.2 or similar. Also both computers have to be in the same subnet (usually 255.255.255.0). Omit DNS and Gateway if you don't have an internet connection.

Btw, it is a lot easier to just use a DHCP server in your LAN. Any router should be able to provide a DHCP service.

jamiew123

Dabbler
the nas and pc now have the same ip (with one increment at the end) and same sub mask.
the reason i am doing this manually machine to machine is i am using spare parts at work to practice on and a router isnt available.
so if i was to introduce a router, all i would have to do is set up the DHCP part?

also could you take the time to post on this thread as it has more replys to my same question:
http://forums.freenas.org/threads/webgui-initial-problems.16413/

thanks allot

Status
Not open for further replies.