WebDAV + NFS shares on dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unis_Torvalds

Dabbler
Hi there! Hope this hasn't already been addressed here, but i couldn't find an answer:

Is it safe to have a WebDAV share alongside an NFS share on the same dataset?

The reason is that i use NFS at home but would like to access those datasets from work/mobile.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Edit: By safe I am referring to the 'one share per dataset' best practice that was articulated before WebDAV support. I am not asking about internet/remote access security! That's a whole other can of worms...

D

dlavigne

Will you be using webdav as browse-only or will you be using a webdav client to create/move/edit files?

Unis_Torvalds

Dabbler
Read-only would be fine for now, but on my telephone at least i'll definitely be using a client such as PlayCloud 10 or WebDAV Navigator by Sean Ashton.
As an aside i have also considered OwnCloud as a solution, but it seems WebDAV will be more flexible over the long run.

D

dlavigne

The same sharing precautions apply if any changes are being made through WebDAV.

D

dlavigne

It won't be OK if both NFS and WebDAV are able to write as they don't understand each others locking methods, though I suppose if you're the only user that's a moot point.

Unis_Torvalds

Dabbler
Understood. So it's just the file locking that is at issue.
Thanks for clarifying that for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.