Web UI not rendering after login

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasH

Cadet
Hello all,

I am currently running FreeNAS 9.2.0 and have been for a couple of months.
Hardware: HP N54L, 10 GB of RAM with 4 WD Reds 3TB; FreeNAS running on a USB stick

A few weeks ago, the Web UI has not been rendering completly.
What I mean is that I am able to log in, but nothing else is happening afterwards...
In the browser (I tried IE, Chrome, Firefox on different PCs and tablets), only the FreeNAS logo is shown with the system logo, 2 "loading blocks" followed by "expand all" and "collapse all".

I don't think I modified anything in the configuration; everything else is still working: Windows Shares, CoachPotato, Sickbeard, ...

Any ideas?
Can I look through a log file somewhere to see what the problem is?

Thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hardware on your server?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
How much RAM?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you reboot the server does the problem go away?

JasH

Cadet
I don't think so; this the last line of /var/log/messages
freenas ntpd[1963]: unable to create socket on epair3a (9) for fe80::81:c6ff:fe00:e0a#123​
Not sure if this is related to this problem...

/var/log/nginx-access.log has a lot of text dumped into it when I login in the WebUI, but nothing which seems interesting
/var/log/nginx-error.log is empty

JasH,

Have you installed plugins?

Try to click on one of the large navigation buttons running horizontally along the top of the GUI (System, Network, Storage). I have experienced the same problem where the left navigation frame will not populate unless I wait a long time. I have narrowed it down to occurring after installing a plugin and probably making some changes to the plugin. I am suspecting there are DNS checks going on which are blocking something.

JasH

Cadet
Yes, I have installed a couple of plugins.

Unfortunatly I can't do what you suggested since my GUI is not loading completly: I see no navigation buttons even after waiting 15+ minutes.

JasH

Cadet
Not many reactions anymore...

Is there nothing I can try from the command line?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, here's the problem(s):

1. Doing stuff from the CLI with FreeNAS is asking for lost data and unreliable server. If you wanted to go full CLI go to FreeBSD. FreeNAS' config file really hates it when you do stuff behind it's back. So doing CLI stuff to get by is asking for potentially unrecoverable problems later. There's dozens of examples if you want to see it to believe it. ;)
2. "It works for me." Yes, I know, not helpful. But web browsers have addons, custom settings, domain settings, script blockers, and whatnot that can and do often cause problems. Unfortunately, the only way to rule them out is to debug the website on your PC yourself. Unless you can provide an error code that someone else has seen and fixed themselves, you are kind of on your own.
3. Your FreeNAS install *may* be bad. The simplest fix is to get a new USB stick, install FreeNAS on it, then do a restore of your config file.

Status
Not open for further replies.