Web interface sluggish and acting erratically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren Zimmer

Dabbler
A few days ago I noticed that the web interface on my freenas system 11.1 was behaving strangely and was really sluggish. I was in a bit of a hurry and decided to check into it later. Then a day or two later I was trying to acces a jail and wasn’t getting a response from the FAMP server and then remembered the earlier interaction with freenas. I opened up the web interface. I noted that all of the Jails were stopped (completely abnormal). On the system summary page the web interface was indicating that I had 4gig of RAM. I have 32 installed, so I shut the machine down. Last night I fired it back up and it showed the right amount of RAM. I backed up the config file to a laptop. I also noted that all of the volumes did appear when I connected via SSH. In my research I read that I might have a corrupt operating system (running on one single USB). After that I powered the server back down. The server hosts our family media and laptop backups. I’d like to get it back up as soon as possible but also don’t want to damage anything either.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next step to troubleshooting and resolving the issues are?

Thank you!

Loren

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What hardware are we even talking about?

Loren Zimmer

Dabbler
Sorry for the lack of info. Let me know if you need more than this:

FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel B250 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory 32617MB
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC (White)

I have two IO Crest 4 port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 controllers connected to 8 Western Digital Drives. An additional 4 drives are connected directly to the motherboard.

Thanks again for the help.

Loren

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If services seem to be running normally and only the GUI is slow, definitely investigate a bad boot device.

Loren Zimmer

Dabbler
If services seem to be running normally and only the GUI is slow, definitely investigate a bad boot device.
Thank you for the advice. I installed 11.2 on a new boot device. It appears that once I loaded the database that everything came up as it should with the exception of my jails. Is there an easy way to import them from the data sets? Unfortunately I wasn't running any regular snapshots of the jails. Once I have everything back up and running I'll setup regular snapshots for all of my jails.

I tried to boot from my original usb device to see what I could do with it and it simply won't boot any more.

Again many thanks for the help!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You should be able to point the jails manager at the datasets.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It appears that once I loaded the database that everything came up as it should with the exception of my jails.
If your jails were created on 11.1 from the legacy GUI then this is normal behavior. Warden based jails are only visible from the legacy GUI.

Loren Zimmer

Dabbler
You should be able to point the jails manager at the datasets.
Would I accomplish this through the GUI or through SSH? I’ve googled and havn’t come up with anything definitive. My attempts in the GUI have failed.

Edit... Nevermind. I must have done something right. The plugins must are functioning but they don’t show up in the new GUI, just the legacy GUI.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.