Unable to Access Web Interface

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
I recently upgraded my FreeNAS system with a SSD boot drive rather than USB stick. Initially, I was able to access the web interface, but now I can't, and I haven't been able to figure out why.

The Freenas system shows in my router at the intended IP. FreeNAS states that the web interface is at the intended IP, and ifconfig confirms that the NIC is working.

What else should I be checking? The connection times out when I try to access web interface. I've tried a few different devices on my network.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 8.22.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 8.22.00 PM.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 434
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 8.27.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 8.27.37 PM.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 417
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 8.27.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 8.27.04 PM.png
    87 KB · Views: 410

Fredda

Guru
You should do some basic connection tests first, to make sure it's not a router/firewall setting.
Code:
ping 192.168.1.100
nmap 192.168.1.100

and check on the FreeNAS if the webserver has started.
Code:
/etc/local/rc.d/nginx status
/etc/local/rc.d/django status

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
You should do some basic connection tests first, to make sure it's not a router/firewall setting.
Code:
ping 192.168.1.100
nmap 192.168.1.100

and check on the FreeNAS if the webserver has started.
Code:
/etc/local/rc.d/nginx status
/etc/local/rc.d/django status

Thanks for the suggestions. I had tried pinging the server and got no response. I had manually set the IP in my router, but noticed that MAC address didn't match ifconfig. I changed it to match, but still no luck. I then deleted that manual assignment so it now shows up in my router as a static IP with the correct MAC address, but no luck.

I will try the other tests when I get home.

I'm able to access a different IP over IPMI without issue.

Fredda

Guru
This looks like a network issue you need to fix.
- Can you ping the router from your FreeNAS Box?
- What is the netmask of the NAS/PC?
- Does the router allow communication between its clients?

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
This looks like a network issue you need to fix.
- Can you ping the router from your FreeNAS Box?
No.
- What is the netmask of the NAS/PC?
I set it to 255.255.255.0 when configuring the static route.
- Does the router allow communication between its clients?
Yes, it was working as recently as a few days ago.

Thanks. My knowledge about configuring networks is pretty limited so I appreciate the help.

Chamrajnagar

Explorer

Fredda

Guru
You are having a networking issue. As long as you can't ping your NAS, all other tests are irrelevant.

As you are talking about static routes, I assumed all your stuff is in the same network subnet?!
And of course you've tested if it is not the cable?

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
You are having a networking issue. As long as you can't ping your NAS, all other tests are irrelevant.

As you are talking about static routes, I assumed all your stuff is in the same network subnet?!
And of course you've tested if it is not the cable?

Yes, all in the same subnet.

Don't believe it's the cable as ifconfig reports it's running at full duplex, and my router sees my freenas system. I'll try a different cable when I get home just to be safe.

Would setting up all 4 LAN ports for the same static IP cause issues? I'm only using one.

Fredda

Guru
Would setting up all 4 LAN ports for the same static IP cause issues? I'm only using one.

Why would anyone try to do that??? If you're just using one interface configure only this.
Pretty sure this would be the reason.

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
Why would anyone try to do that???
So I don't have to remember which of the 4 ports to plug my network cable into.
If you're just using one interface configure only this.
Pretty sure this would be the reason.
I'll try deleting the settings for the other 3 when I get home and see if that fixes things.

John Doe

Guru
router IP is 192.168.1.255?

avoid using 255 there are still plenty devices out there which cannot handle the last number in that range.

try to use 192.168.1.254 or else.

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
router IP is 192.168.1.255?

avoid using 255 there are still plenty devices out there which cannot handle the last number in that range.

try to use 192.168.1.254 or else.

Router IP is 192.168.1.1

Freenas box is plugged into a second router serving as a a wireless access point/network switch.

IMPI interface is 192.168.1.150 and works fine.

Redcoat

MVP
IMPI interface is 192.168.1.150 and works fine.

Does the cable to the IPMI port on your FreeNAS box come from "the second router" or from that with the IP 192.168.1.1 which I assume is your gateway?

Have you tried moving the cable from your functional IPMI port to whichever one of your 4 LAN ports is operational? If so, was the FreeNAS GUI accessible?

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
Does the cable to the IPMI port on your FreeNAS box come from "the second router" or from that with the IP 192.168.1.1 which I assume is your gateway?

Have you tried moving the cable from your functional IPMI port to whichever one of your 4 LAN ports is operational? If so, was the FreeNAS GUI accessible?

IPMI goes to the second router/switch, same as the LAN port for freenas. Will try swapping the cables soon...

Chamrajnagar

Explorer

This worked, thank you.

The issue doesn't appear to be with the cable or the LAN ports however, but rather having LAN and IPMI connected simultaneously. FreeNAS GUI is accessible when IPMI is disconnected, but inaccessible when IPMI is connected.

Previously I have been able to have both connected simultaneously, so I'm unclear about why I now cannot.

Redcoat

MVP
Did you somehow assign both of them to the same IP? Your statement about MAC address confusion suggested something unclear ...

Obviously you have some networking undertsanding and possibly clean up to do. I would start by making a list of the MACS of all your devices; identify for each if it has a static or dynamic IP; list that IP for each one. Fix any uncovered issue as you go.

Most of us here seem to take the easy way out and assign an IP to a specific MAC in our router tables - then we don't have to do anything at the client location to maintain a static IP.

Let us know what you find and eventually mark your thread "solved" please.

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
Did you somehow assign both of them to the same IP? Your statement about MAC address confusion suggested something unclear ...
No, they are assigned and accessible on different IP addresses. 192.168.1.100 for the FreeNAS LAN ports, 192.168.1.150 for the IPMI port.
Obviously you have some networking undertsanding and possibly clean up to do. I would start by making a list of the MACS of all your devices; identify for each if it has a static or dynamic IP; list that IP for each one. Fix any uncovered issue as you go.
I'm not sure what type of issues I need to identify. Are there any resources you would suggest? The FreeNAS box shows up in my router with the MAC address of the LAN port I am using. Each port has a different MAC address.
Most of us here seem to take the easy way out and assign an IP to a specific MAC in our router tables - then we don't have to do anything at the client location to maintain a static IP.
This was my approach for the last four years. After upgrading my FreeNAS box last week, it no longer worked. I've since removed the manual assignment in my router.

Redcoat

MVP
I've since removed the manual assignment in my router.
What did you replace it with? .100 and .150 seem "too organized" to be from DHCP.

Does the "second router/switch" have any smart switch functionality?

Chamrajnagar

Explorer
I now have IMPI and the FreeNAS GUI working simultaneously. I haven't changed anything, so I'm fairly confused, but happy that it's working.

What did you replace it with? .100 and .150 seem "too organized" to be from DHCP.
150 is still assigned in the router. 100 I assigned in FreeNAS over IPMI.

Does the "second router/switch" have any smart switch functionality?

It's an Asus RT-AC66R router running in access point mode.

Redcoat

MVP
Glad it"s wprking. Sounds like it might be a cable issue. You mentioned having 4 NICS with same IP so it didn'tv matter which port you plugged in to - if that suggests that you are frequently removing/repluggng cables you might want to leave them in place to reduce potential for wear and tear.