freenas web interface and shares not accessible but jails are

SaiKo

Dabbler
anyone know what might cause the freenas web interface or smb shares to not be accessible, while stuff running in jails is accessible and running fine?

i had this problem yesterday after which i rebooted the nas to find everything working again.

today i was in the middle of creating a new folder on one of the shares when the file explorer stops responding and i'm again no longer able to open any of the shares or the freenas web interface.

stuff running in jails is running on different ip's and they are still accessible and running.
i can still ping the ip of the machine, i just get timed out when connecting to the web interface or shares.

am running 11.1-U6 stable.

Asus P10S-I
intel i3 6100T
32GB ecc ram
9211-8i
2x intel sas expander

each volume contains 1 vdev
4x hgst 5K4000 4TB mirror, workspace
10x wd red 6TB raid-Z2, WORSE storage
10x hgst nas 10TB raid-Z2, WORSE storage

until yesterday there was another 10x wd red 6TB raid-Z2 connected (this volume needed some drives replaced, moved all data off them a whille ago and reconnected them for some testing, took the opportunity of having to reboot yesterday to remove them from the system again).

also, how bad is it to just hold the powerbutton pressed for 6 seconds in order to be able to reboot?
the interface i get when hooking up a screen to the nas isn't letting me do anything other than type things (it doesn't do anything when i "Enter an option from 1-11")
ctrl-alt-del gives me a "90 second watchdog timeout expired. shutdown terminated", how do i shut down properly?

Last edited:
It will be helpful if you provide details of your FreeNAS hardware and software configuration with your post.

SaiKo

Dabbler
i just rebooted and can access everything again.

It will be helpful if you provide details of your FreeNAS hardware and software configuration with your post.

i'll add some more info in the top post

other than the full build number, what software configuration specific info would you need?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
also, how bad is it to just hold the powerbutton pressed for 6 seconds in order to be able to reboot?
Could cause some data loss, but it isn't catastrophic.

Please be advised, you are supposed to read this before posting:

Forum Guidelines
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-guidelines.45124/

The Forum Guidelines ask that you provide the following details about your hardware, so we don't need to spend so much time asking questions:
Hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems. This includes:
  • motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration
  • hard disk controllers
  • network cards

Based on the little bit you have shared, I would say it is a failing USB boot device. This is a failure I have seen literally HUNDREDS of times. As a result of the high failure rate of the USB boot media, it is not the 'go-to' boot device any more. I personally use mechanical hard drives for my boot mirror, but many people are using SSDs. It is not so much about speed as it is about reliability. Please read this:

Hardware Requirements
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

The highlighted portion below is most relevant:
Capture.PNG

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
am running 11.1-U6 stable.

Asus P10S-I
intel i3 6100T
32GB ecc ram
9211-8i
2x intel sas expander

each volume contains 1 vdev
4x hgst 4TB mirror, workspace
10x wd red 6TB raid-Z2, WORSE storage
10x hgst nas 10TB raid-Z2, WORSE storage

until yesterday there was another 10x wd red 6TB raid-Z2 connected (this volume needed some drives replaced, moved all data off them and reconnected them for some testing, took the opportunity of having to reboot yesterday to remove them from the system again).
I see that you updated your post with hardware details. Thanks for that. I am still curious what you are using for boot media?
The problem you are describing sounds all to familiar, just like what I have seen many times before when USB memory devices begin to fail.

SaiKo

Dabbler
ah yes, usb drive was recommended when i built it. replaced it not that long ago even.

gonna switch to ssd now.

thanks!