Not open for further replies.

martin laf

Dabbler
Dear All,

-Me: new to all this.
-Server: freenas 8 storing files for work: architect office
-network: 20 windows machine
-installed: all was working fine
-now, the web interface is not to be seen, however we can access our files on the server, luckily.
- Woudl sort of find it useful to have that weg gui to complete installation, set up back up, shut down etc.
yesterday i tried to install freevpn and it did not work, would that be the cause?
Otherwise, i have not done any thing to it after installation.
ip is 10.0.0.3. it is written in the welcome screen of the freenas machine.

Thank you for your help

Durkatlon

Patron
The WebGUI is binding to the wrong IP address (an old one) most likely. This has been noted by several people and there have been fixes posted although I'm not sure they've worked for everyone.

martin laf

Dabbler
I have to clarify, putty not working either from other comp on the network, but still we have access to all our data....

thanks

Durkatlon

Patron
Well if the issue is the one where the GUI is binding to the wrong address, see for instance:

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?2063-How-to-set-WebGUI-IP-after-changing-IP-to-static

If putty is not working either though, and you are sure that ssh is enabled, I'm not sure. Make sure the IP is what you think it is: on the console select '9' and type ifconfig. If your motherboard has multiple NICs, make sure the one that has the cable plugged in corresponds to the one with the IP assigned.

martin laf

Dabbler
Thanks

how do i ensure ssh is enable from the shell?

ip is the one written on the "welcome" page where the menu 1-11 is....

martin laf

Dabbler
Alternatively, from what i read i understand some new release with problem solved. How to do these update? from the shell? or through a CD?

thanks

Durkatlon

Patron
Yeah, RC2 seems to automatically use a wildcard if it cannot find a NIC bound to the IP it is told about in its config. To enable ssh you can drop into the shell and type

/etc/rc.d/sshd status

If it is not running, add the following to /etc/rc.conf:

sshd_enable="YES"

Then type /etc/rc.d/sshd start

Note, this way of starting sshd will not survive a reboot. Once you get the WebGUI back up I'd definitively upgrade to RC2.

martin laf

Dabbler
Thanks a lot,

However when i do conf: enable yes... it tells me "access denied";

Doing it from the cd, will i need to back up my config? or just insert the cd in and the rest follows ? All our datas are on a hard disk in the machine.

Thanks....

Durkatlon

Patron
Oh yeah, the root file system is mounted read-only, so before you can change any files on it, first do:

mount -uw /

martin laf

Dabbler
not working after upgrade

i was not able to do the line given.

I upgraded with cd and still, typing the ip in browser is not working...

Kindly help.

Thank you
Martin

Durkatlon

Patron
You were not able to do the "mount" command? What is the error?

After you upgraded with the CD, what version is reported when you type "cat /etc/version.freenas"? If it is RC2 then I'm not sure why the WebGUI is not binding to the wildcard, thereby allowing you to access the GUI. Very weird...

Is there anyway you can just start over? At this point it's kind of hard to tell the state that your machine is in...

martin laf

Dabbler
I am very very thankful of your support. I am an architect, knowledge of computer limited. I just wanted an good system for our office, here in India. All local comp engineer tend to over design systems, non sense.

However... i am ready to reinstall the whole thing. Will i lose my data on the hard drive:
system has:
- 1 key usb 8 gb on which freenas was installed
- 160 gb hard drive, nothing on it;
- 500 gb hard drive with all our working datas on it.

BTY we are stilll using the server freenas only i am a little anxious to get it on gui so to set up auto shutdown and back up.

Thank you very much...

martin laf

Dabbler
The error of the mount command might be only syntax mistake from me...

Let me know if i reinstall the freenas on usb key is i will be able to remount the 500 gb and will the datas still be there?

Thank you

Durkatlon

Patron
The data should not be wiped although you may have to perform some steps to get the NAS to "see" the disk again. Is it UFS or ZFS? It seems that with ZFS it is generally easier to get things back since the disk configuration is stored on the disk itself.

If it were me, I would make a backup of the data on the 500GB drive before doing anything else. You never know why you might need it!

martin laf

Dabbler
in order to get it seen from freenas i had to format the disk, zfs if i remember well.
will do a back up and proceed.

Will post on openvpn, want to install it on freenas to access our data from out of office...

Thanks for your help, i am sure we'll speak again...

martin laf

Dabbler
Reinstall the whole thing. Generally all went well. Only the first attemp to mount the zfs drive with data failed and was not even seen. Rebooted and it was automatically mounted...???
Other thing, in setting/ general/ web gui address has two line: 0.0.0.0 & 10.0.0.3. why is that so?

is it fine to leave dhcp addressing or should it be manual?

Thank you

Durkatlon

Patron
Yeah, leave the GUI bound to 0.0.0.0. As far as the IP, you can leave it dynamic if you have no problem accessing it. I prefer static IPs but if everything is working I'd just leave it.

martin laf

Dabbler
Gui gone again

Guest what?

The web gui is not coming again. And that after upgrading for rc2. Maybe it has to do with the fact that i use dhcp ? That occured after we had power cut and we turned on all the comps and the server last.

Some wise guidance will be good again.

Thank you
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.