Want to move computer to another lan

JeffJ62

Dabbler
I have truenas scale, gigabyter mobo, AMD cpu, 2tb WD red mirrored drives, comcast internet. I am new to truenas so no jails... I want to physically move the computer from one physical location to a completely new network. The only thing that will stay the same is Comcast will be the network provider. What do I have to do to have truenas scale running on the new network?

Also, I want to remotely access the files from the truenas. I purchased a router that can handle vpn and will have comcast give me a static ip (have to buy comcast's modem which I do not like). What do I have to do to remotely access it or who can I hire to handle that?
Jeff

danb35

Hall of Famer
What do I have to do to have truenas scale running on the new network?
If either:
  • You're using DHCP to assign your server's IP address, or
  • Your new network is going to have the same address as the old (e.g., 192.168.1.x),
then nothing at all. However, if you've set a static IP address for your server, and you're going to change the network address, then you'll need to change the IP address of your NAS. You can do this using the console menu.
What do I have to do to remotely access it
Follow your router's instructions to set it up as a VPN server, and set up VPN clients on your desired mobile devices to connect to that server.

JeffJ62

Dabbler
If either:
  • You're using DHCP to assign your server's IP address, or
  • Your new network is going to have the same address as the old (e.g., 192.168.1.x),
then nothing at all. However, if you've set a static IP address for your server, and you're going to change the network address, then you'll need to change the IP address of your NAS. You can do this using the console menu.

Follow your router's instructions to set it up as a VPN server, and set up VPN clients on your desired mobile devices to connect to that server.
Thank you so much for the help.