FreeNAS VPN Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Cadet
Hey guys,

So today I found a Netgear FVS318 at my local TradeLand store for $20 and I wanted to set it up to use the VPN support to access my FreeNAS box away from the office but I have a mess of a network and was wondering if I have it set up in a bad/not possible way.

So Comcast gave me this Modem/Gateway box when they installed my internet, and I've had my Netgear Wireless Router hooked up to a port on the Comcast Gateway to give wifi to the office.

I then have the FreeNAS box hooked into the Netgear Wireless Router, and everyone on the LAN has been able to access it fine.

I now want to be able to access it remotely so I hooked up the VPN box to the router, and I'm unsure of if I will need to hook the FreeNAS box into that, or if it is all already on the same network.

Any help in general would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
that would be a question for the netgear forums. once you are connected to the VPN (assuming its configured properly), you have access to the entire LAN. You dont hook the FreeNAS directly to the firewall, that would defeat the purpose of VPN

ternarybit

Cadet
You don't have to set up your VPN at the firewall, although that's most common.

My router running a micro build of DD-WRT doesn't support OpenVPN directly, so I set up the OpenVPN server on FreeNAS itself following this method:

https://joepaetzel.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/openvpn-on-freenas-8-2/

Then just forward UDP port 1194 to your FreeNAS box (or whichever port you choose).

Finally, set up some kind of dynamic DNS if you don't have a static IP. A good free service is freedns.afraid.org.

OpenVPN is perhaps the most robust and secure VPN solution available. Well worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.