SSH access into TrueNas fails outside LAN

Andy Fraser

Cadet
I have a FreeNas mini which I call daneeka from iXsystems with 2 ethernet ports, igb0 and igb1. I've used daneeka as NAS on my local network for several years. In the past I accessed the mini when I'm traveling using network address translation in my ubiquity router. Recently my old ISP changed how I get service with static IP addresses to something using DHCP that I didn't understand and experienced as unreliable. So I got a comcast business modem and 5 static IP addresses.

I am posting today because I find that I cannot connect via comcast to the mini from outside my house.

I've connected igb1 to my local network as 192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.10 for a jail, and I've connected igb0 to my comcast modem as IPa and IPb (numbers not given). I've also connected a compute server named cathcart (running NixOS) to my comcast modem as IPc. I've exchanged ssh keys between daneeka and several of my other machines, and I can access daneeka and the jail from those machines. In particular, I can access the mini from Linux on my chromebook, penguin, as long as it is at home on the 192.168.1 subnet. When I connect penguin to my neighbors WiFi, I can access cathcart (the Nix machine). However I cannot ssh into either daneeka or the jail. I've also tested from my shell account at dreamhost and find that I can access cathcart but cannot access daneeka or the jail from there.

Summary:

From To Result
penguin at home daneeka fail
penguin away daneeka success
penguin at home cathcart success
penguin away cathcart success

Keys:
penguin: Linux laptop
daneeka: FREENAS-MINI-2.0, TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1
cathcart: NixOS server

I attach the stderr from running ssh -vvv on penguin at home and away.

I would appreciate any advice.

Andy

Attachments

• debug_home.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 89
  • debug_away.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 77