FreeNAS 11.0 on FreeNAS Mini XL: how to disable IPMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase Turner

Cadet
my FreeNAS Mini XL has two network interfaces - igb0 and igb1. igb0 has the IPMI controller. My goal is to

* (a) disable IPMI entirely on igb0; or
* (b) configure igb0 and igb1 to be on different subnets with each having a dedicated ethernet back to my pfSense firewall. Then, configure freeNAS mini XL so that its console, FreeNAS WebGUI and SSH access are serviced by igb0 whereas all other FreeNAS services and Jails and VMs -- all will use igb1 which is configured to be on another subnet with a direct connection to my pfSense firewall's DMZ.

My problem : Although I can easily direct FreeNAS WebGUI and ssh to use igb0 only, I see no means of directing Jails, VMs and other services to use igb1 exclusively. And as I see no means of disabling IPMI on igb0, I'm reluctant to release the FreeNAS Mini XL into production.

What am I missing in the FreeNAS 11 release that prevents me from being successful for my configuration (b) above? NOTE: if there were a way to define igb1 to be the default for everything, then I could over-ride the WebGUI and ssh to use igb0 and thus achieve my goal for (b). But I see no means for configuring FreeNAS to presume igb1 is the "default" for everything until it is over-ridden.

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
Within the IPMI, you have to disable Network Bonding (Configuration -> Network Bond) then under Network (Configuration -> Network), select eth1 and configure its IP address, subnet, etc.

Chase Turner

Cadet
IPMI setting was already disabled for Network Bonding. But I notice that IPMI's "Configuration->Network Settings" currently has LAN Interface set to "Share LAN". Should I set that to "Dedicate LAN"?

NOTE: if I do manage to disable IPMI so it is not answering on igb0, how do I connect to IPMI for firmware updates afterwards?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Chase Turner

Cadet
Thanks. Although I click "Dedicate LAN" followed by Save, the setting does not change, even with a hard power cycle. (e.g., after power cycling, IPMI answers on the shared igb0. When I log back in, the network setting remains "Share LAN").

Is it possible that I have to make those IPMI configuration changes via the dedicated IPMI jack -- so that the IPMI trusts I am not loosing connectivity to it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.