SSH connection lost after adding a new interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berji

Cadet
Hi all, this is my first post and sorry for my bad english.

I've installed FreeNAS 9.10.1 and I have some issues with the network configuration, an example:
I add the interface igb0=10.0.1.10/24 and Default Route=10.0.1.1 and I can access the GUI and connect with SSH from my computer=192.168.5.20/24. But when I add the interface igb1=192.168.5.5/24, I can't connect with SSH to igb0, it gets stuck when I try to connect, and after 5-10 minutes, I can't access the GUI. Only I can connect with SSH and access the GUI from the new interface.

I have enabled SSH service without binding any interface, so it would be listening to all interfaces, and WebGUI Ipv4 Address is 0.0.0.0

If I use telnet 10.0.1.10 22, I get this:

Trying 10.0.1.10...
Connected to 10.0.1.10
Escape character is '^]'

If I were connected that command shouldn't reply the used SSH protocol too?
Could you help me please?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I add the interface igb0=10.0.1.10/24 and Default Route=10.0.1.1 and I can access the GUI and connect with SSH from my computer=192.168.5.20/24. But when I add the interface igb1=192.168.5.5/24, I can't connect with SSH to igb0, it gets stuck when I try to connect, and after 5-10 minutes, I can't access the GUI. Only I can connect with SSH and access the GUI from the new interface
You have to different NICs with different IP Ranges; however they are on the same SubNet (/24)... You don't want to do this, change the SubNet on one of them.

Also, any particular reason you are running two separate IP Ranges? Not saying one cannot, just wondering if you have a need to do so.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You have to different NICs with different IP Ranges; however they are on the same SubNet (/24)... You don't want to do this, change the SubNet on one of them.

That's not how it works. They aren't in the same subnet.

Having 2 interfaces with /24 is fine. Since they have completely different IP subnets

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
That's not how it works. They aren't in the same subnet.

Having 2 interfaces with /24 is fine. Since they have completely different IP subnets
You are correct... Brain is not fully awake. Just ignore me until my coffee kicks in. :)

Berji

Cadet
Thanks for your answers.

Also, any particular reason you are running two separate IP Ranges? Not saying one cannot, just wondering if you have a need to do so.
I want SSH service and access to GUI from igb0 and CIFS and NFS service from another interface (it will be a Link Aggregation, but I have other issues with that). I'm doing practices and that is the configuration I have to follow.

I have checked auth.log to see any changes when I try to connect with SSH.... but nothing happens. Any idea?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I add the interface igb0=10.0.1.10/24 and Default Route=10.0.1.1 and I can access the GUI and connect with SSH from my computer=192.168.5.20/24.
This isn't possible unless you have a router setup between the 2 networks. Is that the case? Does your client have 2 different IP addresses assigned to it? Same interface or separate interfaces?

Berji

Cadet
This isn't possible unless you have a router setup between the 2 networks. Is that the case? Does your client have 2 different IP addresses assigned to it? Same interface or separate interfaces?
Sorry, I haven't put enough information but you are right, there are routers between the 2 networks and they are already configured. 2 different IP and separate interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.