Remote Samba using Port Forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Cadet
Hello guys,

So the other day I finally got my FreeNAS box up and running with 3 1TB Harddrives in a ZFS Raid 5, and I have created multiple users and I have samba and AFP all setup and working.

Now my problem is that I want to be able to access the server from a remote location not on the same LAN. So I went ahead and port forwarded ports 135, 137-139, and 445 to the FreeNAS box. But when I enter in the remote IP in my connect to server I get no response.

So I went ahead and port forwarded port 80 to the box also to see if I could access the web panel remotely but even that did not work.

Does this sound like a problem with my FreeNAS box or maybe my Router/Modem (Comcast gave me a Business Class gateway/modem that I have my router connected to, and then everything else is connected to the router).

Thanks for all the help in advanced!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Opening up and forwarding those ports is a HUGE no-no. you want to be able to access shares remotely? use some form of tunneling, either VPN or SSH, something secure.

That said, it sounds like a problem with your router/modem. Is the Comcast device ONLY a modem, and not an all-in-one device? If it performs as a router too, then you are double-natting your traffic which means you would need to forward from the Comcast device to the ip of the second router...not exactly a fun task to troubleshoot connectivity issues.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
As pirateghost said, doing any sharing via samba that isn't via VPN or SSH is asking for major trouble.

Jer

Cadet
Are there any guides on setting up FreeNAS through an SSH tunnel to use samba? I think I would prefer VPN though because then I would just have to connect to the VPN and It would be as if I was on the LAN correct?

Michael B

Cadet
I've done Samba over OpenVPN years ago, but didn't like it due to performance issues. OpenVPN bridged mode would probably be easiest to setup.

SFTP is my preferred method.

Status
Not open for further replies.