Want to add PCIe Sata controller for more drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayeohdee

Dabbler
Hello, I know I have a couple of threads going but another question has come to light that I feel needs a separate thread. I am looking to add a couple more drives or in a possible scenario, not use the sata ports on my motherboard because they have cracked and I feel the connection between the port and cable might be compromised. Would something like this work for me?? Or could someone point me in the direction to some information that would help me out with this question? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16815158207

I do not want to just start buying cards without really knowing if freenas will detect or operation with them. Thanks in advance.
My system as is.
Freenas 9.1.0
Motherboard : EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW
Ram : 8gb OCZ DDR2 800
Cpu: Q9505
NIC: Intel PWLA839GTL 10/100/1000 pro 1000 GT
Storage: 3x 2TB WDRED + 1 120GB Muksin SSD

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hello, I know I have a couple of threads going but another question has come to light that I feel needs a separate thread. I am looking to add a couple more drives or in a possible scenario, not use the sata ports on my motherboard because they have cracked and I feel the connection between the port and cable might be compromised. Would something like this work for me?? Or could someone point me in the direction to some information that would help me out with this question? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16815158207

I do not want to just start buying cards without really knowing if freenas will detect or operation with them. Thanks in advance.
My system as is.
Freenas 9.1.0
Motherboard : EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW
Ram : 8gb OCZ DDR2 800
Cpu: Q9505
NIC: Intel PWLA839GTL 10/100/1000 pro 1000 GT
Storage: 3x 2TB WDRED + 1 120GB Muksin SSD
The StarTech card you're considering uses a Marvell chipset and FreeNAS/FreeBSD has a history of not working very well with Marvell-based controllers.

Ayeohdee

Dabbler
The StarTech card you're considering uses a Marvell chipset and FreeNAS/FreeBSD has a history of not working very well with Marvell-based controllers.
Thanks for the head's up. I will do some digging on the forums after to work to see if I can find some compatibility threads, although if anyone has something similar feel free to share! Thanks.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I recommend getting an HBA based on the LSI 2008 chip, such as an LSI 9211, an IBM M1015, or a Dell PERC H200. These can all be flashed to IT mode and used very successfully with FreeNAS. They can be purchased for $50-100 on eBay, assuming you have access to eBay in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.