Freenas 8.3.2
Motherboard : EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW
Ram : 8gb OCZ DDR2 800
Cpu: Q9505
NIC1: Onboard Realtek
NIC2: Intel PWLA839GTL 10/100/1000 pro 1000 GT
Storage: 3x 2TB WDRED + 1 120GB Muksin SSD
Problem : "Interrupt storm detected on "IRQ 21:"; throttling interrupt source "
Ill start by saying I understand my system hardly meets the recommended specs for a well built NAS. I use it for simple backups and a bit of media storage. My reason for using an older version of freenas was 1: anything past 9.2. I would get a system freeze on boot no matter what I did and I understand why that happened. 2: I was having horrible problems with dropping IP on reboots(using the REALTEK on board LAN) . I would be greeted with an ip on 0.0.0.0 over and over, and sometimes it would be fine but always inconsistent. After having enough of that and realizing that freenas and realtek dont get along I purchased the Intel PWLA839GTL NIC which I saw listed somewhere around the forums to be compatible with Freenas. Once I installed that NIC everything was great, I could restart/shutdown as many times as I wanted and the IP would hold and never change. Now another issue arrived, I noticed that every time I tried to do a large data transfer to the server it would seem to lockup from the GUI, I have now dedicated a monitor to my freenas system so I can see what's happening and I am getting a non stop stream of "Interrupt storm detected on "IRQ 21:"; throttling interrupt source " with a large data transfer
I have done a good amount of research and I cant find a post with that same IRQ # for an interrupt storm issue. So here I am, Any suggestions? When I need to do a big transfer I have had to shutdown, use the onboard NIC ( and hope it held an IP ), and use that until I had to shutdown or lost the IP. For small transfers I'd say under 1gb this doesn't happen.

Forgot to mention irq21 is listed as my NFE0 OHCI0

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I can't really suggest anything.

The problem I think with getting good support in this case is simply that 8.3.2 is such ancient history now; most of us that were here for it don't remember it, and in fact, most of the people answering questions in the forum came into FreeNAS after the 9 series was a thing. As soon as possible, I think it would make sense to get on 9.3 or 9.10.

Ayeohdee

Dabbler
I can't really suggest anything.

The problem I think with getting good support in this case is simply that 8.3.2 is such ancient history now; most of us that were here for it don't remember it, and in fact, most of the people answering questions in the forum came into FreeNAS after the 9 series was a thing. As soon as possible, I think it would make sense to get on 9.3 or 9.10.
You are right. I am going to bite the bullet and do what I need to do to run 9.1.0 and I will see if I still have an issue with data transfers. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.