IRQ259 and interrupting storms.

nrgpix

Dabbler
I am scratching my head and I have checked the various threads on "related topics".
A default installation following the instruction on the web site to set up a clean Linux based FreeNas worked well.
PLEX and some fileshares for photos

I then installed a Delink 10 port SATA card (PCiE x2 V2) to test across a larger number of disks and cabled in the power to the backplane for the additional disks as well as the sata cables to the SATA controller card.

At this stage I did not add additional disks.

Upon booting the box up the new PCiE card is recognised and installers loaded.
Boot up sequence completes HOWEVER upon conclusion of the start up process I am getting the message
"Interrupt storm detected on "irq259:"; throttling interrupt source" repeated every few seconds.

It would appear that the PLEX and shares are good , however the error message is undesirabel.
Having read much on the topicthere seem to be many many causes.
I am lost on what would be a recommended step .
DIsabling USB 2.0 or forcing them to use USB3.0 seems one thread but I would not know how to do this on a LINUX based machine.
HELP required !!!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What exactly did you install? There is no Linux based FreeNAS. Which software are you running?
Second it would help if you named the precise model of your mainboard and/or server system as well as the card you added.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
In addition to what @Patrick M. Hausen said...

A lot of random SATA cards do not work well and can cause problems like interrupt storms. Unlike Windows, ZFS is very hard on hardware, so marginal PC hardware often fails or exhibits pathological behaviours under ZFS.

An AHCI-compliant SATA adapter that doesn't exhibit issues is generally expected to work just fine, of course, but this one apparently is exhibiting issues. There are some specific chipsets known to be problematic, such as some of the Marvell ones.

We usually recommend people to use an HBA to expand disk capacity. A lot of users see "HBA" and then "SAS" and then strange connectors and run terrified, but it's actually not too bad. We have a nice primer on SAS available:

https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-sas-sy-a-primer-on-basic-sas-and-sata.26145/

An LSI HBA is probably the best way to attach disks to your NAS.

nrgpix

Dabbler
What exactly did you install? There is no Linux based FreeNAS. Which software are you running?
Second it would help if you named the precise model of your mainboard and/or server system as well as the card you added.
Hi - the reply I got below was far more helpful than the rant you vented - which if not meant to - comes across as arrogant and bombastic.

nrgpix

Dabbler
In addition to what @Patrick M. Hausen said...

A lot of random SATA cards do not work well and can cause problems like interrupt storms. Unlike Windows, ZFS is very hard on hardware, so marginal PC hardware often fails or exhibits pathological behaviours under ZFS.

An AHCI-compliant SATA adapter that doesn't exhibit issues is generally expected to work just fine, of course, but this one apparently is exhibiting issues. There are some specific chipsets known to be problematic, such as some of the Marvell ones.

We usually recommend people to use an HBA to expand disk capacity. A lot of users see "HBA" and then "SAS" and then strange connectors and run terrified, but it's actually not too bad. We have a nice primer on SAS available:

https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-sas-sy-a-primer-on-basic-sas-and-sata.26145/

An LSI HBA is probably the best way to attach disks to your NAS.
Many thanks - The card supports 6GB/s and the chipset is JMircon. I shall take a deep dive in the links shared - open to any ideas which take me further along the path of my personal goals.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@nrgpix Yes, that was phrased a bit snarky. Sorry.

Still, while @jgreco gave you a lot more information, you will notice that it was all phrased in a rather general way. Because you still have not stated e.g. what motherboard you are running. What precise model of controller is giving you trouble. And most important of all what version of FreeNAS you are trying to use.

There is truth to my last remark: there is no Linux based version of FreeNAS. There are:
  • FreeNAS 11.x - FreeBSD based
  • TrueNAS CORE 12.x - FreeBSD based
  • TrueNAS SCALE 21.x - Linux based
If you are running, e.g. FreeNAS 11 - I would recommend to try upgrading to TrueNAS CORE 12, because there were quite a few changes from FreeBSD 11 to FreeBSD 12 with respect to interrupt routing and handling.

But "FreeNAS" and "Linux" in combination is not a product that does exists. So it would definitely help if you just told us what precisely you are running. Hardware and software.