BUILD Future Proof (aka reistant) Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*resistant
After recently reading multiple, very thorough threads on the necessity of using ECC RAM with ZFS I decided to give my NAS a much needed upgrade. I've mainly been using it for simple video streaming, document storage, Time Machine, and automated torrenting using Flexget on top of Transmission. I currently have this setup using old spare parts from my PC I built back in '06 and what I've collected over the years to get to this point...

FreeNAS-9.2.1.2 x64
MB: MSI G41M-P33
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600
RAM: 4Gb OCZ DDR2 800
NIC: Intel EXOI9301CTBLK
HDD: x3 2TB Samsung Eco Green RAIDZ1
Case: Cooler MasteATX Mid Tower
PSU: hec HP485D 485W
USB Flash Drive: 8Gb NewEgg generic (the oldest component in my system @ 9yrs! lol)

First off, the 4Gb of RAM sucks. I can only get like 24MB/sec avg read and write with and without changing as many tunables as possible over the years. I've run multiple speed tests to see what my CPU is capable of processing and got ~130MB/s so I think the problem may be the lack of RAM... Since my MB doesn't support ECC, I would like to consider for a future resistant build:

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-C7Z87-O or SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SAT-O
CPU: Intel Pentium G3220
RAM: Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered
NIC: Integraded x2
HDD: Same as above...
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Same as above (for the time being)
USB Flash Drive: Same as above

So I have a few questions:
1. Does or will FreeNAS support Thunderbolt found on the X10? (I know it's a very noob question lol)
- Is it even possible to mount an external drive temporarily to transfer files faster than the NIC?
-E.g. I buy a Thunderbolt SSD later in life for my rMBP and don't want to wait to transfer a huge file through the network. (my AC wireless gets nowhere near even half 1Gb/s)
- I don't mind spending the extra $80 now, and I don't need the PCI slots
2. With 8 SATA 6Gb/s, I'll be able to throw more drives on there, the only problem I run into is how do I upgrade away from RAIDZ1 when the time comes?
- If I just add another 2TB drive to my pool does that mean it will automatically upgrade to RAIDZ2? (my guess is no...)

I say future resistant because no tech is totally future proof anymore. I think the capability of FreeNAS will continue to grow and the support for more powerful plugins will go along with it so eventually I may want to upgrade the CPU but for now an Intel Xeon might be overkill. I also leave room to add an extra 16GB of RAM if necessary. Let me know what you think.

Z300M

Guru
*resistant
After recently reading multiple, very thorough threads on the necessity of using ECC RAM with ZFS I decided to give my NAS a much needed upgrade. I've mainly been using it for simple video streaming, document storage, Time Machine, and automated torrenting using Flexget on top of Transmission. I currently have this setup using old spare parts from my PC I built back in '06 and what I've collected over the years to get to this point...

FreeNAS-9.2.1.2 x64
MB: MSI G41M-P33
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600
RAM: 4Gb OCZ DDR2 800
NIC: Intel EXOI9301CTBLK
HDD: x3 2TB Samsung Eco Green RAIDZ1
Case: Cooler MasteATX Mid Tower
PSU: hec HP485D 485W
USB Flash Drive: 8Gb NewEgg generic (the oldest component in my system @ 9yrs! lol)

First off, the 4Gb of RAM sucks. I can only get like 24MB/sec avg read and write with and without changing as many tunables as possible over the years. I've run multiple speed tests to see what my CPU is capable of processing and got ~130MB/s so I think the problem may be the lack of RAM... Since my MB doesn't support ECC, I would like to consider for a future resistant build:

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-C7Z87-O or SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SAT-O
CPU: Intel Pentium G3220
RAM: Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered
NIC: Integraded x2
HDD: Same as above...
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU: Same as above (for the time being)
USB Flash Drive: Same as above

So I have a few questions:
1. Does or will FreeNAS support Thunderbolt found on the X10? (I know it's a very noob question lol)
- Is it even possible to mount an external drive temporarily to transfer files faster than the NIC?
-E.g. I buy a Thunderbolt SSD later in life for my rMBP and don't want to wait to transfer a huge file through the network. (my AC wireless gets nowhere near even half 1Gb/s)
- I don't mind spending the extra $80 now, and I don't need the PCI slots
2. With 8 SATA 6Gb/s, I'll be able to throw more drives on there, the only problem I run into is how do I upgrade away from RAIDZ1 when the time comes?
- If I just add another 2TB drive to my pool does that mean it will automatically upgrade to RAIDZ2? (my guess is no...)

I say future resistant because no tech is totally future proof anymore. I think the capability of FreeNAS will continue to grow and the support for more powerful plugins will go along with it so eventually I may want to upgrade the CPU but for now an Intel Xeon might be overkill. I also leave room to add an extra 16GB of RAM if necessary. Let me know what you think.
1. Kingston no longer has any 8GB modules claimed to be suitable for most of the X10-series motherboards; the exceptions are a couple of models with only two memory slots. Check Supermicro's own "Tested Memory" list for the Hynix and Samsung Part Numbers.
2. Are you sure the MBD-X10SAT-O supports ThunderBolt? I see no mention of it.

1. I know that would be the proper thing to do but it sucks the list of verified RAM is a whole 1 item long... If you do a google search for that Hynix RAM: HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB, you get some sketchy websites. I don't really trust anything other than the major online retailers. I'll do a reverse search for other brands of RAM and check back.
2. You're right, their website doesn't say anything about thunderbolt: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SAT.cfm but it's in the user's manual and on Newegg.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That z87 doesn't support ECC RAM.. so if you want ECC, you are GOING with an X10. ;)

1.5 is what I recommend.. the lower voltage saves a fraction of a volt, and some systems don't work as well with the lower spec. I stick to the 1.5v since there's nothing to be gained for using the lower spec, but potential downfalls for using it.

Z300M

Guru
1. I know that would be the proper thing to do but it sucks the list of verified RAM is a whole 1 item long... If you do a google search for that Hynix RAM: HMT41GU7MFR8C-PB, you get some sketchy websites. I don't really trust anything other than the major online retailers. I'll do a reverse search for other brands of RAM and check back.

Here's the Hynix RAM for a decent price at Superbiiz.com, which has a good report from some people on this forum, although I haven't bought from them myself:

http://superbllz.com/detail.php-name=D38GE1600H.htm

If you buy anything not on Supermicro's list, you may find later on that it doesn't work well: e.g., two modules (16GB) may work fine, but problems might arise if you add two more.

That z87 doesn't support ECC RAM.. so if you want ECC, you are GOING with an X10. ;)
Oy, nm, I don't know how I missed that... lol Damn daylight savings!!!

1.5 is what I recommend.. the lower voltage saves a fraction of a volt, and some systems don't work as well with the lower spec. I stick to the 1.5v since there's nothing to be gained for using the lower spec, but potential downfalls for using it.
I figured that from my background of overclocking and knowledge of digital communication, a higher voltage means a more reliable signal but less potential bandwidth due to a longer rise time...

Here's the Hynix RAM for a decent price at Superbiiz.com, which has a good report from some people on this forum, although I haven't bought from them myself:

http://superbllz.com/detail.php-name=D38GE1600H.htm

If you buy anything not on Supermicro's list, you may find later on that it doesn't work well: e.g., two modules (16GB) may work fine, but problems might arise if you add two more.
Good point! I've never heard of them either, maybe I should just go with 32GB now if it's that cheap :p

Page 40 --> http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C226/MNL-1544.pdf

Z300M

Guru
Oy, nm, I don't know how I missed that... lol Damn daylight savings!!!

I figured that from my background of overclocking and knowledge of digital communication, a higher voltage means a more reliable signal but less potential bandwidth due to a longer rise time...

Good point! I've never heard of them either, maybe I should just go with 32GB now if it's that cheap :p

BEWARE: I just realized that the Web site to which I pointed you (which Google found for me when I searched for that Hynix part number) looks like the genuine superbiiz.com one, but the URL is actually www.superbllz.com. IOW: "ll" instead of "ii". The price of that RAM at superbiiz.com is much higher.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

The rise time is only based on the amount of time to get to x% of the total single. So a 1.35v stick of RAM should be about the same rise time when the signal propagates through the circuits unless there's some trick at work with the 1.35v sticks. As long a you can overcome the appropriate voltage for it to be a one or a zero it doesn't matter what the final voltage is.

Offtopic: If you are interested in digital signals and stuff, read up on DVI and HDMI signals and how those work. That's some fascinating reading for curious people that sound like you. ;)

BEWARE: I just realized that the Web site to which I pointed you (which Google found for me when I searched for that Hynix part number) looks like the genuine superbiiz.com one, but the URL is actually www.superbllz.com. IOW: "ll" instead of "ii". The price of that RAM at superbiiz.com is much higher.
Oooo, I noticed that in my initial search. I thought that was pretty weird also. Yea, it's almost $200 a stick on superbiiz.com.

The rise time is only based on the amount of time to get to x% of the total single. So a 1.35v stick of RAM should be about the same rise time when the signal propagates through the circuits unless there's some trick at work with the 1.35v sticks. As long a you can overcome the appropriate voltage for it to be a one or a zero it doesn't matter what the final voltage is.

Offtopic: If you are interested in digital signals and stuff, read up on DVI and HDMI signals and how those work. That's some fascinating reading for curious people that sound like you. ;)
I'll have to look into it. I'm more familiar with vehicle (aerospace and automotive) communication, i.e. RS-232, RS-422, RS-429, MIL-STD-1553 and CAN which are much lower bandwidth (I guess mainly because they are only one twisted pair?) and higher voltage (for noise susceptibility?).

Status
Not open for further replies.