BUILD First Server Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spreizu

Dabbler
Hi guys, I've been looking into building a home server for a very long time now. I want to be able to:
- Store my media and other files
- Stream(transcode) videos to cheap atom clients
- Set up a web server (with PHP5, MySQL) where I could do all my web programming related work
- Share files to Windows based machines
- Make use of the two Gigabit ports that are on the selected motherboard (I already own a good GB switch)

I came up with the following hardware combination:
MB: Intel S1200V3RPS Server Motherboard (SuperMicro boards are not available in my region; is this Intel board supported and works flawlessly?)
CPU: Intel Core i3-4130T with stock cooler
RAM: 2x Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L ECC CL11 1.35V DIMM, KVR16LE11/8 (will upgrade to 32GB in total in the future)
PSU: Seasonic G Series G-360 - 360 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified (SSR-360RM)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
HDD: 3x 3TB WD Red (RAID-Z1)
UPS: Some APC UPS? How many VA's does this setup need to be able to power a simple router (to keep internet ON even if power is lost) and to turn this server off ASAP if a power loss occurs?

Recommendations and tips are welcome!
Oh, and sorry for any grammar mistakes I may have made. :)
Thanks in advance!

Edit: I managed to find a retailer where I could buy X9SCL-F board which, from what I've read, seems to be working out-of-the-box. It's also 4€ cheaper than the Intel one.. but CPU is about 7€ more expensive.

So here's my new configuration:
MB: X9SCL-F
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220T with stock cooler
RAM: 2x Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L ECC CL11 1.35V DIMM, KVR16LE11/8 (will upgrade to 32GB in total in the future)
PSU: Seasonic G Series G-360 - 360 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified (SSR-360RM)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
HDD: 6x 1TB WD Red (RAIDZ2)

Yatti420

Wizard

Rand

Guru
Note this board only has 2 sata3 ports as its based on C222. If you are planning on using a Hba this does not matter o/c; or if you dont mind running the disks at slightly slower speeds; its just not future proof.
Else its running fine, at least pre 9.2.1.2, i am having some issues atm i havent been able to track down yet with the latest release.

Spreizu

Dabbler
Thanks for the info. I think SATA 2 is enough for me. I'm not planning to use my NAS as a scratch disk, but more for storing pictures, music, videos and other smaller files that I don't want to lose (ZFS is 100% safe, I know that). I actually decided to replace these 3x 3TB drives with 6x 1TB instead for more security (RAIDZ2). In a few years I would simply replace them for 2 or 3TB ones.
What problems are you facing exactly? Anything serious?

Rand

Guru
Well I am not sure yet whether its a hardware or software issue, i have a thread open to find out, so no furthrt info and no finger pointing yet;)

Spreizu

Dabbler
I managed to find a retailer where I could buy X9SCL-F board which, from what I've read, seems to be working perfectly. I updated my configuration in the first post.

indy

Patron
Things I would check:
- price for the upgrade to 2TB disks
- price of a similar Haswell build
- T-version CPUs usually have the same idle power consumption, but are limited in performance
- balancing 2 lan-ports with few clients seems to be tricky, your switch must support it as well
- there seems to be some trouble with Supermicro boards and Kingston RAM

Rand

Guru
Well I am not sure yet whether its a hardware or software issue, i have a thread open to find out, so no furthrt info and no finger pointing yet;)
Just wanted to let you know i am suspecting a disk space issue currently to be the culprit, not the board.
All in all i am happy with it (except maybe that the ipmi cant be accessed from within FreeNas, only by web) and that the PCIe slots are limited, but thats even worse on other boards;)

Yatti420

Wizard
Everything seems to be fine with this board.. Other then IPMI as highlighted above.. I'm not sure if you need more then 1xm1015 to really max out a norm computer case.

Spreizu

Dabbler
Things I would check:
- price for the upgrade to 2TB disks
- price of a similar Haswell build
- T-version CPUs usually have the same idle power consumption, but are limited in performance
- there seems to be some trouble with Supermicro boards and Kingston RAM
- Upgrading to 2TB disk would cost me about 156€ (~26€ per disk)
- I wanted to build a Haswell system, but the only motherboard that is available to me is the Intel one. Supermicro board would cost me over 300€ (the only ones that are available).
- Do you have any CPU recommendations that are atleast similar in performance?
- I read about this issue but thought it's limited to certain boards, no?

Everything seems to be fine with this board.. Other then IPMI as highlighted above.. I'm not sure if you need more then 1xm1015 to really max out a norm computer case.
With the Intel board I mentioned? IPMI seems like a nice feature, never used it before, but would like to. I actually never thought that something like that would be possible, lol.

indy

Patron
I would just go with the non-T-version cpu.

The issue with Kingston Ram is not clear at the moment afaik.
Might be best not to take chances and choose a different manufacturer.

Spreizu

Dabbler
Kingston ECC memory seems to be the only one that is available in my region.. A few other ones are registered and/or cost more than double (~150€ for 8GB sticko_O) .
Edit: KVR16E11/8 should be working just fine according to multiple articles on the Internet and threads on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.