BUILD Input for my future build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluefox4

Cadet
Mobo: ASRock E3C224D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard
Case: Fractal Node 304
HDD: Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD30EFRX 3TB ( x3 w/raid 5)
RAM: Kingston 4gb ddr3 ecc KVR16E11S8/4 (x2)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3220
Power Supply: EVGA 430w
USB: kingston 8gig 2.0

around $1000 for this build
buying from newegg.ca

I am new to FreeNAS but i do have experience with FreeBSD.. i was wondering if this build would be able to handle my needs as a Plex media server to transcode 1080p on my devices.. also be my main data storage for my house. My main worry is the CPU and RAM, but this is my first build so what do i know, also is there anywhere to save money on this build or anything that should be improved for the future needs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you want to transcode, you'll probably want an i3 or a Xeon. You'll also need more RAM for plex, preferably 16GB.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you want Plex, you're going to need more than 8GB of RAM to be stable.. period. I'd go with 2x8GB sticks. That's with no library even setup yet.

If you want transcoding you're going to need more CPU power.. i3 at the lowest IMO.

RAIDZ1 isn't recommended for protecting your data.

Bluefox4

Cadet
If you want Plex, you're going to need more than 8GB of RAM to be stable.. period. I'd go with 2x8GB sticks. That's with no library even setup yet.

If you want transcoding you're going to need more CPU power.. i3 at the lowest IMO.

RAIDZ1 isn't recommended for protecting your data.

Okay i guess ill go with the i3-4130 and do 16gig of that ram... but would you know of a prebuild server under $700 that could meet my needs, i was looking at the lenovo thinkservers but i wasnt sure if their nics were intel and if the memory would support ecc

Status
Not open for further replies.