Wake on LAN irritations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jost Wittmann

Dabbler
Hi everybody,
I enabled WOL in the Bios-settings so I can remotely start my FreeNAS server. Seems to work fine in the beginning, since after the magic packet has been sent, the system starts at once. The funny thing is: After the "Press F12 for Bios.." messages, the screen remains black. Nothing happens.
Pressing the powerbutton, the system goes quiet at once. pressing the powerbutton again, the system boots as expected:
  1. Bios-messages
  2. Grub (few seconds countdown)
  3. FreeNAS
Any idea why Grub doesn't show up? Since the initial WOL seems to work: what could cause the hang-up?
Thanks for helping!

Jost Wittmann

Dabbler
Nobody?
It's not a WOL problem really, as the computer starts.... or is it?
It's not a FreeNAS problem really, as the boot process interrupts before Grub/Freenas starts... or is it?

So this might be the wrong forum(?). Where to ask?
Thanks for any input!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

Jost Wittmann

Dabbler
Hi Robert,

Good point, trying another OS! Shall give it a shot.

Here are the basics:
  1. HP workstation xw4400,
    • Onboard LAN port.
    • 8Gbyte of RAM
  2. Grub: v202 beta2
  3. FreeNAS built: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292130
Cheers!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
The xw4400 doesn't look like an ideal platform for FreeNAS. You're maxed out at 8GB of RAM, hard drives are limited to 2TB, power consumption and performance will be sub-optimal. Depending on how you plan to use it, it may satisfy your needs.

Jost Wittmann

Dabbler
I agree - not a perfect match (Freenas and tthe HP xw4400), but for now I can live with it. 8Gbyte of Ram work fine for me, and I got 2 6TB harddrives in a Raid1 configuration in there (WD, red-series) - so you are mistaken with you hard drive limitation. However, I do definitively agree with the power consumption. For now, it's a price I am willing to pay.

SmallGuy

Guru
Thought I saw it in the specs PDF on hp.com, but it was probably just the largest they could imagine at the time of publication (2008).
This is related to the grub. FreeNAS use gpt, so this limitation doesn't apply in that use case.

Status
Not open for further replies.