How to make persistent network interface settings - Wake on Lan

fw_crocodile

Dabbler
Hello,

first I've to say that the wake on lan functionatlity is working and the issue is not related to hardware/BIOS settings.
I'm using TrueNAS SCALE, so I'm operating on a linux environment.

The wake on lan capabilities of the network card are disabled on boot, probably on driver loading. I've to enable the magic packet before the shutdown if I want to be able to turn it on later by a magic packet (ethtool -s ethX wol g).

There is any place where some settings are applied on the network interfaces where i can add this settings?
Or the only solution is to add a init/shutdown script?
Would it be possible to add it on the network card configuration panel? It seems tthat it's a common problem to have the wol turned off on driver loading.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It seems tthat it's a common problem

It's not a common problem, because the use of WOL is strongly disrecommended. Power cycling your NAS is very stressful, and tends to shorten the lifespan of your NAS and its drives. Additionally, WOL support is very flaky, inconsistent between different mainboards and ethernet chipsets, and iXsystems is loathe to provide features that are not rock solid that will result in a greater support workload.

Would it be possible to add it on the network card configuration panel?

Of course it would be possible. It's software, after all. But if you're asking WILL it be added, the decade-long answer is "iXsystems has shown zero interest in doing so".

only solution is to add a init/shutdown script

The general "fix" for this is to add a shutdown script. Scale is still in early development, so much of the networking is subject to rework and restructuring as the developers grapple with how to make the more complex container and virtualization stuff work. That leads to a situation where obscure edge case requests like WOL tend to get trampled on over time. We saw this repeatedly with VLAN and LACP support over FreeNAS's lifecycle, which are both much more mainstream features.

fw_crocodile

Dabbler
That was clear! Thank's for your answer.

The inconsistence of wol is a really good reason not to manage it.

By common problem I was not referring specifically to TrueNAS.

At the same time having it available doesn't mean you need it often.