Volume status ´unknown´ should I worry? can I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan R

Cadet
did a shutdown of the server. On restart freenas reports under the volume section that both of my hard drives have an unknown status.

Using Beta 4. Don´t know how to fix this or if I should worry or if it will autocorrect itself...any ideas?

Darkaine

Explorer
I also have this... problem? and would like to know how to fix it.

jwhitten

Cadet
I have a similar issue. I recovered a drive which had been damaged in a lightning strike-- no bearing on FreeNAS, it was running as a RAID under Linux at the time. After looking around at NAS options, I decided to switch to FreeNAS and ZFS. I created a UFS drive and imported the data (it says its an EXT2 type drive). There were no issues in importing and everything worked fine, I was able to see the drive and browse the data. Then I powered off the server and it's been just sitting here since around January this year. I powered it back up this week to start using it and the volume now says "Status Unknown". When I do a 'zpool status', it shows me the ZFS partition just fine:

minerva# zpool status
pool: vg0
state: ONLINE
scrub: scrub completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Fri Apr 27 03:01:02 2012
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
vg0 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/4786e3f0-fd8a-11e0-a10c-001d60b763b7 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/485852cc-fd8a-11e0-a10c-001d60b763b7 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

But it doesn't show me the other volume, 'vg1'.

But when I look at it in the web gui under show all volume I see:

vg0 /mnt/vg0 450.4 GiB (16%) 2.2 TiB 2.7 TiB HEALTHY
vg1 /mnt/vg1 444.4 GiB (53%) 426.0 GiB 916.9 GiB UNKNOWN

If I log in locally and cd to /mnt/vg1, all my data is there and it appears to be able to read it just fine. But it doesn't appear in any of the lists when I go to create a CIFS share or anything.

I also upgraded FreeNAS to "FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p1-x64 (11059)" in hopes that it was simply a glitch in the earlier revision.

Apparently some people are having this issue-- I see sporadic reports. I am primarily interested in using FreeNAS due to its ZFS capabilities, but it is very important to me that it be able to read (at least) Linux formats so that I can backup and/or exchange data (a whole drive's worth) with my other Linux systems. As an aside, I can live with Ext2/3 compatibility okay but it would be nice if there were some other formats supported. I have a number of older systems that are still using Reiserfs, for instance-- though I suspect it's probably not practical to expect that one to show up any time soon-- maybe in 100 years to life or so...

Anyway-- I just thought I'd toss my oar in as having similar UFS problems in hopes that someone else might know the answer.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.