SOLVED Vnet causes playback issue

Jerren

Explorer
So i got an emby jail and for all kinds of reasons i want to get a second one up so i can among other things try stuff out. But when i do that i apparently need to use the Vnet and Berkely packet filter. When activating this on both jails and assigning an ip adress to both playback on my emby jails becomes horrible as in not even a minute of stable video feed. I've asked on the Emby forums and one user said it's possible to do this but that i would have to configure my network stack on my host system. Seems to only make sense afterall that it would work as i can see people having a secondary jail just for beta testing.

My problem now is though, what does it mean to configure my network stack on my host system? Logically i assume i would need to change settings on my truenas machine (running on 12.0-u1), however i have no idea what to change. I've been looking around on the forums and responses seem to range from read the manual (which didn't help me as i don't have a good enough understanding of freebsd) to don't bother trying to do this (which also doesn't help).

So to be clear i was able to have the 2 emby jails up and running and both were accesible, it's just that playback suddenly became atrocious. The only thing i can think of is that this is due to my truenass not being properly set up for Vnet but like i said i'm not experienced with truenass network settings so i hope people can help with this. If you need any information, just ask and i'll do my best to provide it.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Did you disable hardware offloading on the physical interface?

Jerren

Explorer
I didn't change anything yet to the actual network of the host system. I just checked to make sure and the box is not ticked.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Then please tick it. This is mandatory when using jails or VMs.

Jerren

Explorer
To be clear this network interface is my only one on this system, it won't create network problems?

I'm asking since nobody ever mentioned this when talking about creating a jail or vm and when ticking it i get a box saying that "disabling hardware offloading can severly reduce network performance. It's only when an interface is used for plugin, jail or vm networking". And that pop up box makes it look like the network interface would only be used for that and nothing else.

I'm rather overly cautious so sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It's only when an interface is used for plugin, jail or vm networking
If you use the interface with any plugin, jail or VM, you must disable hardware offloading. Period. If you use plugins, jails or VMs at all and this is your only interface than obviously it is used with plugins, jails or VMs - no?

Jerren

Explorer
Yeah it just seemed confusing since it sounds important and i'm surprised that whenever i looked up information in the past about setting up my own jail, plugin or vm that nobody even mentioned this. If it's a must then it's quite the oversight in guides. Or maybe people that know about this just take it for granted and think it's basic knowledge. Either case i'll enable it now and report back on what happens.

Jerren

Explorer
Ok took me awhile to get some other stuff sorted but it seems it's working as intended now, thanks for telling me!

ThreeDee

Guru
If you use the interface with any plugin, jail or VM, you must disable hardware offloading. Period. If you use plugins, jails or VMs at all and this is your only interface than obviously it is used with plugins, jails or VMs - no?
Thread hijack of sorts .. but I never knew this was a thing and have never checked that option running Plex and Unifi Controller jails.. I've never seemed to have any issues with video playback with Plex though .. Awhile back, some friends running PS4's where having issues with playback of some content but those where all H265 encoded files .. switching them to H264 rectified the issue.

I guess I'm suffering from a lack of RTFM'ing .. and need to go do just that .. :smile: