VM (ubuntu linux) can't boot after upgrade to 11.2 U8

urza

Dabbler
I upgraded from 11.2 U2 to 11.2 U8 and my Bhyve Linux VM is not booting. When i connect via VNC I see strange dev sda errors. Like random wrong segments etc. The DISK device is
Code:
sectorsize: 0
type: AHCI
path: /dev/zvol/fastpool/MiniBuntu-pi4x6

Before upgrade it worked just fine.
Any ideas what can cause this?
Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Can you describe the exact errors you see in the VM? You may need to switch the zvol VM disk to VirtIO and set a 512 sector size.

urza

Dabbler
Here are some screenshots, it goes on like this..

Freenas112u8Bhyve0.png

Freenas112u8Bhyve1.png

I was wrong, it can actually boot, but it ends on login screen and then these errors start. It's not possible to login.

Samuel Tai

There were 2x security patches for bhyve between 11.2-U2 and 11.2-U8, but neither of those affected the AHCI emulation. (One was for XHCI USB, and the other was for the emulated e1000 NIC.) You can try reverting to U2, using the procedure outlined in the 11.2 Guide, Section 2.5.5. From the look of things, Ubuntu isn't properly detecting the auto-sector size of the zvols you're presenting to it for DM-RAID. Try setting this to 512, instead of 0.

urza

Dabbler
I tried to change to 512 with no change.

It is probably easier for me to just delete it and rebuild it from scratch rather than trying to revert freenas there and back again. I will lose only some non essential data, most of what runs inside is scripted and can rebuild itself..
Thank you for your help.

Oh and one more thing, don't know if it can has some effect here - the ubuntu is encrypted (used option during ubuntu installation). During boot I am able to provide the decryption password, it boots to login screen and then these errors starts and neither login, nor ssh is possible.

Samuel Tai

When you rebuild it, try it with VirtIO instead of AHCI. Ubuntu can definitely handle VirtIO disks.