VM Ubuntu 16.04 not starting after upgrade from 11.2-RC2 to 11.2-RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

soko

Dabbler
Hi All,

VM Ubuntu 16.04 not starting after upgrade from 11.2-RC2 to 11.2-RELEASE

16.04 Ubuntu release Vm was booting fine under 11.2-RC2, I could manually stop and start the VM with no issue.

Symptom: After upgrade to 11.2-RELEASE today the VM doesn't start Ubuntu correctly.

I manually start the VM, it starts with GRUB boot loader ok, if I leave it auto start with "*Ubuntu" below.
it just hangs with blank screen.

If I try the "Advanced options for Ubuntu"

1544125095445.png

I get:

1544125234520.png

Then if I hit <enter>
I get:

1544125271932.png

Just hangs here:

Any ideas?

Thanks

D

dlavigne

Probably worth reporting at bugs.freenas.org. If you do, post the issue number here.

soko

Dabbler
OK, finally got back to this. Thanks for the reply dlavigne, after some problem solving I don't think this is a freenas thing. I think it's Ubuntu/grub2 issue interaction with bhyve.

I rolled back to Freenas-11.2RC2, recreated a new Linux VM, allocated zvol storage, booted from Ubuntu 64bit 16.04.5 iso, installed Ubuntu 16.04.5, installed pihole, etc. the VM operated OK for a number of days (In addition I thought maybe this could be because kernel incompatibilities, so I put a hold on linux kernel updates using apt).

Upon controlled restart of the freenas server, and then attempt at manually starting VM image, it sits at 'loading initial ramdisk' after manually starting using grubx64.efi via UEFI boot maintenance menu (I could rename to bootx64.efi move to efi/BOOT/ but left it manual for the time being.
So the issue appears independent of 11.2RC2 or 11.2 RELEASE.

I've tried grub2 repair using Ubuntu live install iso, but final step grub-install /dev/sda says it is not a valid block device? I tried researching this error but couldnt find anything. So where to from here? I'd like to work around the grub boot issue with Ubuntu, but not sure on next steps....

1) Try forcing zvol storage size, "force" storage size instead of leaving it dynamic to check if grub-install will work
2) It appears that after an 'apt update' on ubuntu that the VM will not reboot, even after putting a hold on kernel updates. Might try 'holding' other dependencies

D

dlavigne

Thanks for the followup. Let us know if/when you are able to find a resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.