VM Frequently Crashing

nhabbott

Dabbler
I am running DW Spectrum VMS in a VM within TrueNAS Core. I am having an issue where the VM will, seemingly randomly, have all cores jump to 100% utilization and then crash or crash with no indication that it is having problems. I can't get it to stay online longer than an hour. During this, the TrueNAS dashboard and OS remain 100% responsive. The only way to fix it is to hard reboot the VM. I have tried changing the NIC & Disk drivers to VirtIO, changing the VM specs to keep from allocating more resources than it needs, and moving the VM to its own pool of two SSDs in a mirror. When looking through Ubuntu's /var/crash, sometimes a log file is created stating that one of the CPU cores was stuck for X milliseconds. To eliminate hardware as an issue, I have replicated this issue on two different machines with identical specs. I have seen others experiencing similar VM stability issues, but none of the fixes I found worked. At this point, I do not know what else to check.

Hardware
TrueNAS Core Version
: 13.0-U3
CPU: 1 Intel Xeon Silver 4216
RAM: 64GB DDR4 ECC
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SPL-F
HDDs: 14 WDC WD181PURP-86 (Video Pool)
SSDs: 2 PNY CS900 (VM Pool), 2 HDSTOR HSAV25ST250AX (Boot Pool)
HBA: 2 LSI 9305

Pools
Video_Pool
: 2 RAIDZ2 vDevs consisting of 7 18TB HDDs
VM_Pool: Mirror consisting of 2 250GB SSDs.

vCPUs: 1
Cores: 4
Threads: 2
RAM: 20 GiB
Devices (Order): NIC (1002), Disk - Boot (1000), Disk - Video Pool (1001), VNC (1009)

nhabbott

Dabbler
Here is a screenshot of one of the crash logs
Crash Log (012323-2113).png

sretalla