VM after some minutes not responsive to mouse or keyboard.

Forssux

Explorer
Hi There,

I'm using Truennas core 12.0-U7
I installed a VM a Windows 2016 server standard edition and whenever I turn my back I can't use the VM anymore.
I connect via a external VNC viewer, but also the internal vnc viewer has this behavior.
I found several similar issues on the internet but they where for former Truenas editions.

My VM has 3 processors and 4 cores each and has 8GB ram.
I'm using the virtIO nic.
I have disabled to my best knowledge all power saving options in the Windows Server.

I of course would like to fix this and any help would greatly be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Guy Forssman

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
My VM has 3 processors and 4 cores each
12 cores sounds like a lot for a VM with so little RAM. Maybe try with fewer (maybe 2) cores and 1 CPU as a start.

I'm using the virtIO nic.
Good, how about the disk controller... also VirtIO? (that would be my next suggestion).

Once you can get into the machine and enable Remote Desktop, you would probably also be best to remove the VNC device as that has been known to be not so great for Windows VMs' stability.

Last edited:

Forssux

Explorer
@sretalla thanks for the kind advice. I must say what a system you have :cool:pfff..
What I didn't know was dat on my virtual machine I had to install the virtIO driver to.
I found that here and I also lowered the machine to something more humble.. 2 cores and 2 cpu's and 2 threads

I also installed the fake bridge with a IP adres range 192.168.7.0/24.
The machine is still running and I also took your advice to use Remote desktop

Thanks a lot.
Guy