FreeNAS Windows 7 VM - Mouse not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashmanq

Cadet
Hi,

I've been going through the learning process of running a windows VM on FreeNAS. I have been able to create the VM, install windows 7 professional and load the virtual IO drivers onto the windows VM. Throughout the whole process the mouse hasn't worked using VNC viewer or the web VNC on FreeNAS. Just to test things out I tried loading a Ubuntu VM and the mouse was working during the installation of the software so that rules out anything specific to FreeNAS or VNC.

When looking at the device manager I noticed that the Universal Serial Bus Controller drivers aren't installed (yellow exclamation mark next to the device). I tried uninstalling the device from the list and then restarting the VM and it still doesn't install the drivers successfully. I have also tried manually installing the drivers using the "search automatically for updates" option but that doesn't work either.

Is there some specific drivers that I need to install to get the USB controller to work? I find it odd that the keyboard works but the mouse doesn't.

I'm am using FreeNAS-11.1-U1. The PC is a Dell Poweredge T30 Server with an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz processor and 8GB RAM.

Update: After installing windows 7 and enabling remote access I was able to use windows remote desktop to remotely access the VM. When using this the mouse works. I was also having keyboard issues where the backslash wouldn't work even though the VM is setup for UK keyboards which goes away when using windows remote desktop. It looks like the issue lies somewhere with VNC (Bhyve)?

Last edited:
Yes this seems to be the expected behavior with Windows 7 :(. I read somewhere that the USB mouse implementation in Windows 7 doesn't work in Bhyve. Yet if there is some magic to fix this that would be wonderful although I am doubting there is (and it sounded like the Bhyve isn't going to fix this anytime soon, someone correct me if wrong.).

tiptop

Cadet
USB passthrough also does not work, and it is not known if it will ever work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.