Several issues with the VM feature

vampyren

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I'm new with TrueNAS as i'm moving away from QNAP and building my own server. I been reading and watching many videos on how to use the system but i'm no guru in either linux nor NAS systems so i really appreciate all the help i get.

To start with i could not even start my VM but that ended up being a issue with the filename and Jira support handled it nicely. Actually they will fix that problem:

Now that i have my VM starting up i see several issues.

1) First i see AHCI controller driver missing? Not sure why? i tried to see if the latest virtio-win-0.1.189.iso has the drivers but nope. I think on qnap i used virtio but here i cant boot if i use that.

My controller card is this: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-nvme-9405w-16i

The only driver i can get from brodcom did not help or install anything useful (sorry i'm sort of a noob at this).

Other specs:

CPU: intel i7 8700k
Motherboard: Asus prime Z370
Memory: 32GB
HD: 6x14TB
M2: Samsung 950pro 500GB (where the TrueNas is running from)
1621677589579.png

2) I dont get why i see so many cores!? I set the following Virtual CPUs:2 Cores:2 Threads:4

Not sure how it calculate but i assume 2 real core and 4 thread should use 2 of my cpu cores which i have 6 of (i7 8700k). I should be seeing 4 logical right?

3) and lastly (i hope) i get a warning about memory. I tried to google and read allot on this but there is no easy answer i think. I have 32G of memory and right now 7 is free.

1621677662127.png

I did set this (read from here:https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/gdaeoz/tweak_adjust_zfs_cache_size_113/)
1621677686832.png

which i think reduces my zfs cache a bit (have to try some more) but still i get the warning when i start the VM that is suppose to use 6G even if i have 7-8G free
1621677706253.png

4) I experience is that the VM is very slow. Considering the spec i have it locksup time to time and i cant even play a youtube video properly. And just now i started the VM before posting this and after maybe 10min my remote desktop disconnected and i see
1621677934269.png

I had to do a Power off the VM.

Just for reference and my experience, i been running win10 VM on my QNAP for maybe 3 years and i have 3 core and 6GB memory on an Intel i5 and it works so much better.
1621678296329.png

I'm hoping that once i get through the kinks i get a much better/faster VM on TrueNAS. My CPU and memory is much much better compared to my QNAP hardware after all.

I have also ordered an "Intel Ethernet Network Adapter X710-T4L" which i will put once i get it. Seems to be shortages for these. Hopefully i can assign a dedicated IP for the using this card.

Lastly the Jira support mentioned that TrueNAS Scale might be a better option for VM. I wanted to try it out but its only Alpha. It seems a beta is scheduled for June:
https://www.truenas.com/docs/releasenotes/releaseschedule/
Anyone have a handson experience with SCALE? Is it much better?

Again thanks for any help you can provide. I really want to move to this new server but having a working VM is very critical for me.