11.2BETA VM Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclendineng

Explorer
I updated to 11.2 and am very pleasantly surprised. Everything works except for VM's. I can create and run VM's fine, but they crash after about 30 minutes or so. This happens with CentOS 7.2, Ubuntu Server 18.04, and 17.10, and Windows 10 VM's. Also, about 50% of the time the VM will not start without using VNC. I will start ane VM, but the boot will not take place until I VNC in. I have checked VNC settings and all that, and everything looks fine. Is this a known issue or should I file a bug report? Where can I view logs to see why my VM's are always crashing/powering off? Ill just come back, usually after 20-30 minutes, and none of them are on.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Can you be more specific about what happens when a VM "crashes"? Does it just stop with no output, does the GUI show it as stopped, is there an error message?

jclendineng

Explorer
No error, literally just turns off...not sure its a crash, or a graceful shutdown but I can turn it on, and if it actually turns on, I can wait a short time, check status and its off again :)

GUI shows off, ping etc shows down

I updated to 11.2 and am very pleasantly surprised. Everything works except for VM's. I can create and run VM's fine, but they crash after about 30 minutes or so. This happens with CentOS 7.2, Ubuntu Server 18.04, and 17.10, and Windows 10 VM's. Also, about 50% of the time the VM will not start without using VNC. I will start ane VM, but the boot will not take place until I VNC in. I have checked VNC settings and all that, and everything looks fine. Is this a known issue or should I file a bug report? Where can I view logs to see why my VM's are always crashing/powering off? Ill just come back, usually after 20-30 minutes, and none of them are on.

About the "not start without using VNC" you need to disable the checkbox "Wait to boot" on VNC device.

jclendineng

Explorer
I tried that as well. A clean install seemed to fix it. Ill monitor and report back tomorrow.

jclendineng

Explorer
Well just shut off again after a clean boot. I then did a clean install of the latest master and same result. Super unstable bhyve apparently. I'll keep testing new setups but that error 10 is a killer as I rely on VM servers for a couple things. Ordering a couple new atom PCs to take there place since my dream of virtualization will need to wait a couple years till its more stable :p

Simpleone71

Dabbler
I upgraded Freenas to the beta and was experiencing the same "crash" of my one plex VM. It was Ubuntu 16.04. I upgraded to 18.04 and it was still crashing. I made the change you found helped you from the e1000 driver to Virtio and so far it is working great! Good catch and thanks for posting to the forums for the others having this issue!

biffman

Cadet
I had been pulling my hair out trying to isolate the problem (installed three different OS versions multiple times!). The NIC switch on the freenas VM side worked like a charm.

For those wondering how to do this, go to your VM's devices, click edit on the NIC. Then under adapter type, switch from Intel e1000 to VirtIO.

Thanks again jclendineng.

Status
Not open for further replies.