VM does not find boot file on FreeNAS

s25a

Explorer
Hi,

I recently updated my FReenas and now have a problem with one of my VMs. I deleted it and than setup again with the ZVOL. It starts but I get an error. (See attached)
So I wanted to repair that in the Boot Maintenance manager (see attached) and then boot from file.

But there's no option to choose (see attached)

Any suggest what to do here?
It's a Debian 9.4 on Freenas 11.2 Beta

Thanks

S

screenshot.3.jpg

screenshot.1.jpg

screenshot.2.jpg

KrisBee

Wizard
Are you using the old or new UI in FN11.2 beta? If you are using a a new zvol and installing from scratch, which iso are you using?

s25a

Explorer
Hi,

I am using the New UI in FN 11.2. I wanted to use my existing zvol. So I deleted the VM and the setup a new one with the OLD ZVOL. That worked for 3 other machines however for this one I have the issue described.

Thanks S

KrisBee

Wizard
OK, you've made that clearer now. Your screenshots imply your trying to boot a VM in UEFI mode but the boot disk is not being found. You did check the VM disk device is pointing to the correct zvol? Have you tried doing this via the old UI in FN11.2 beta?

s25a

Explorer
Hi,

Code:
Your  screenshots imply your trying to boot a VM in UEFI mode but the boot disk is not being found.

Yes correct. Till FN 11.1 it was running without issues. After Update it did not start. So I deleted the VM and re-setup it with the existing ZVOL. However as shown in the screenshots it does not find a bootfile.

And yes I have checked the devices list and it's pointing to the correct zvol. I am not sure what else I could do.
And yes I have also tried to setup under the legacy UI. Also did a reboot of the Freenas and tried to setup under legacy and new UI.

Thanks a lot

S

KrisBee

Wizard
I've not been able to reproduce this error on testing FreeNAS in a VM. I created a debian 9 VM on Frenas 11.1-U5 and it booted OK after upgrading to FN11.2 BETA. I deleted the VM and then created a new VM based on the orig zvol as you did, and it still boots OK.

It dawned on me that the wizard in FN11.2 forces you to attach a cdrom device when you do this, so you have to delete it from the VM devices before trying to start the VM. A couple if things you could do are:

1. Attach a rEFInd iso to VM and see if it boots.
2. Attach a live linux cd to the VM and check the partitions and file structure in the VM.

miklor

Cadet
I have exactly the same issue as described. Have just installed FreeNAS-11.2-U2.1 and created a Debian 9 VM. I has been running without problems 2-3 days, and suddenly the VM dies. When I try to start the VM again, it cant find the boot disk.
Within a week I have tried it 3 times and the only "solution" I have found is a reinstall of the VM.... :-/