VLAN tags missing / WebGUI won't load

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxsat

Cadet
-New install FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64 (9591)
-Initial network configuration was basic static IP to the physical Ehternet interface, then reconfigured as follows:
-One Ethernet interface with option 'up' / no IP; connected to Mikrotik switch
-Two VLANs assigned to the parent ethernet interface with IP's from different networks
-WebGUI listening on one VLAN interface only

The bug is that the WebGUI won't load / loads extremely slowly. Watching (torching) the physical port on the Mikrotik switch shows that all egress traffic is tagged, but some of the ingress traffic from the FreeNAS box is untagged. Creating a rule on the Mikrotik's FreeNAS-facing switch port to tag any untagged ingress traffic with the VLAN with which it should already be tagged immediately fixes the WebGUI.

Other untagged packets (besides broadcast from the up, but unaddressed physical interface) are observed as well (NFS, for instance) so this is not only related to lighttpd. SSH, ICMP both seem OK. This bug renders the other VLAN I would like to use unreliable until fixed.

Aside from that, so far, so good!

G

gcooper

-New install FreeNAS-8.0.3-RELEASE-p1-x64 (9591)
-Initial network configuration was basic static IP to the physical Ehternet interface, then reconfigured as follows:
-One Ethernet interface with option 'up' / no IP; connected to Mikrotik switch
-Two VLANs assigned to the parent ethernet interface with IP's from different networks
-WebGUI listening on one VLAN interface only

The bug is that the WebGUI won't load / loads extremely slowly. Watching (torching) the physical port on the Mikrotik switch shows that all egress traffic is tagged, but some of the ingress traffic from the FreeNAS box is untagged. Creating a rule on the Mikrotik's FreeNAS-facing switch port to tag any untagged ingress traffic with the VLAN with which it should already be tagged immediately fixes the WebGUI.

Other untagged packets (besides broadcast from the up, but unaddressed physical interface) are observed as well (NFS, for instance) so this is not only related to lighttpd. SSH, ICMP both seem OK. This bug renders the other VLAN I would like to use unreliable until fixed.

Aside from that, so far, so good!

Are you using jumbo frames with vlans?

galaxsat

Cadet
I am now, and all tags seem to be present and accounted for, thank you! Under the physical interface (alc0), options are now:
'up mtu 9194'
For the benefit of others, I did not have to change anything else. No options on the VLAN interfaces, and no 'vlanmtu' options.
Unfortunately, the two primary boxes using the FreeNAS box are using the Linux forcedeth driver for nVidia GigE interfaces, and the driver doesn't support jumbo frames, but at least the tagging out of FreeNAS box is fixed. Transfer rates are no worse (~150Mbps). My switches do support jumbo frames, so if I find a resolution to the forcedeth restriction, I will be in good shape.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.