VMs and VLANs question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yannickg

Dabbler
Hi.

I have a freepbx VM running on Freenas, the VM has one NIC named eth0 and it's configured with a static IP 192.168.1.55.

In freepbx, I created another interface for my voice VLAN, eth0.500 with IP 10.10.10.1.

What I would like to know is, how is the physical switch port in which my Freenas server is plugged should be configured. Tagged or untagged, I'm confused since both the default and voice VLANs are going through that port.

Thanks

Whichever VLAN corresponds to the static IP on your FreeNAS would be the untagged one in the switch. This is getting past my FreeNAS virtualization knowledge (I do that on separate ESXi servers), but I am pretty certain you create a VLAN interface off the parent and tag that with VLAN that corresponds to IP for the freepbx. I am guessing that would be VLAN 500. Given this, here is what it would look like in a Cisco switch. I am guessing that the 192.168.1 network is VLAN 1.
Code:
interface Gig0/1 ! guessing on the port number as well
switchport trunk encap dot ! this might generate an error if your switch is a newer one
switchport mode trunk
switchport noneg
switchport trunk nat vl 1
switchport trunk all vl 1,500

yannickg

Dabbler
Elliot is spot on.

I have an HP switch instead of Cisco, what I had to do is make sure that the port my Freenas server is plugged in is untagged for vlan 1 and tagged for vlan 500.

I hope this helps!

In case you hadn't already figured this out, it would look like this (assuming the freenas is in port 1)

Code:
vlan 1
  untagged 1
vlan 500
  tagged 1

Status
Not open for further replies.