Can't get TrueNAS to connect to a VLAN

Aurieg

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I have a strange issue I hope you can help me resolve. Very simple set up, I have 2 NICs in my TrueNAS server, one is connected to my LAN and the other I want to get to work with my VLAN. I have a pfsense box that's configured properly and a managed switch that supports 802.1Q. When I connect other devices to the switch interface that is tagged, they get a proper IP assigned via dhcp and work as expected on that VLAN. However, when I plug in my TrueNAS server, I get nothing. If I enable dhcp on truenas interface that is plugged into a tagged port on the switch it shows an ip of 0.0.0.0/8 and does not seem to work. If I try manually assigning an IP to that interface it does not work either. No VLANs within the NAS, nothing complicated, just want to connect one NIC to a preexisting VLAN to separate traffic for my VMs. Any ideas?

I think youll still have to define the VLAN in freenas and attach it to that NIC. In the GUI go to interfaces>>ADD VLAN and input the info.

Aurieg

Cadet
I think youll still have to define the VLAN in freenas and attach it to that NIC. In the GUI go to interfaces>>ADD VLAN and input the info.
You are right, I had to add vlan and define it. Now everything works. I wonder why it requires specific instructions when other devices are just plug and play.