Status
Not open for further replies.

janisve

Cadet
Now I got:
vlan101 (FreeNAS UI, default gateway)
vlan103 (Jail applications)

working!

Thanks for the solution. However there is 1 essential point missing (probably because my parent interface isn't VLAN tagged) - you must increase MTU from 1500 to something like 1530 so that your parent interface doesn't drop packets which are VLAN tagged.

Add this to Options field in GUI when editing interfaces at Network -> Interfaces : mtu 1530
More on configuring interfaces: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Interfaces

You must restart your interfaces AND jail for settings to take effect.

ravinald

Cadet
After upgrading to 9.2.0 I gave vlan support for jails another try - what shall I say, it worsk! (with a little help)

The UI still lacks of a necessary feature: Select custom interface for bridging with jails epair device
Without a little help it always selects the device the default gateway corresponds to. What does not work, when one wants to have jails in a different vlan.

Fortunatelly the warden scripts are prepared for that already.
All I needed was to create a proper file including the desired vlan interface:
Code:
[root@freenas2] ~# cat /mnt/tank0/jails/.bacula-sd_1.meta/iface
vlan103
[root@freenas2] ~#

Second thing i need to assure was to move the IP address from the vlan interface to the 'IPv4 bridge address' setting of the jail.
The vlan interface may not have an IP address set! (At least not the same address)

Now I got:
vlan101 (FreeNAS UI, default gateway)
vlan103 (Jail applications)

working!

When there is a firewall between vlan101 and vlan103 one might need to add a rule from the jail's ip address to the the FreeNAS UI ip address and port.
That is necessary for updating the configuration menu from plugins.

I'm trying this out in 9.3 and it doesn't seem to work. Have you upgraded to that version with success? The jail starts, but it only shows epair2b and lo0. The host has the vlan interface up and iface has the correct vlan interface and bridge-ipv4 has the correct ip address and mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.