SOLVED Virtualization roadmap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Dear hard working iX systems staff ;)

I stumbled on a few threads in this forum mentioning iohyve to manage VMs. I know that jails are planned to be managed by iocage in future releases, but what about the plans for VMs?

For example the three VMs I created with the web UI don't show up in iohyve list.

Confused
Patrick

m0nkey_

MVP
iohyve and iocage are two separate things.

iohyve is the 9.10 bhyve management tool. Completely experimental at that stage. It is/will not be compatible with the VM management in 11.
iocage is the 11.x jails management tool. It will replace warden in the not too distant future.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I know about iocage and about the fact that iohyve is something entirely different. We participate in iocage development ;)

The question is if FreeNAS bhyve management will move to iohyve eventually just like jail management is moving to iocage ...?

I could read a "no" from your answer, but I just want to be sure. If not, why is it even included in FreeNAS at the current state?

Patrick

D

dlavigne

iohyve is the temporary kludge for managing VMs from the CLI until the VM implementation is considered complete in the UI. VMs have significantly improved for 11.1 and will be considered feature complete for 11.2. Note that "feature complete" encompasses both the UI and the backend middleware APIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.