Virtualisation & app issues

Ianm_ozzy

Dabbler
Hi all
I am trying truenas scale again.
For context, I tried t about 6 months ago and was not impressed due to issues with virtualisation.
Some have been resolved. I instlled an ubuntu virtual machine and is working as expected.

I updated the truecharts catalogue in the apps & installed pi hole. It is working as expected.
I need to install docker images not contained there.
I am given to understand the 'launch docker image' in the apps options lets you do this, but is greyed out.
How is this fixed?

Secondly I am want to install a virtual machine with hardware passthrough.
It is specifically pfsense router.
I wish to pass through a quad port gigabit intel nic.

I am just testing it on an old machine right now.
Specs are on the test machine:
i5-3470 cpu
z77-d3h-mvp - with latest bios
16 GB ddr3
60 GB boot
3 x 1TB hard drive storage pool.
quad port i350 card in the pci express connector directly connected to the cpu.

Cpu/motherboard apparantly support hardware passthrough and is turned on in the BIOS.

In the shell the output of lspci for the card was

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
01:00.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
01:00.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

The options which seemed logical for the PCI devices to add were:
PCI_0000_01_00_0
PCI_0000_01_00_1
PCI_0000_01_00_2
PCI_0000_01_00_3
It seems each correspond to the 4 nics on the card.

When I add the devices, and start the virtual machine, the machine 'hangs' with the 'please wait'
I can still ping the truenas scale IP, but the gui is no longer accessable.

My guess is that truenas is actually using the nics, but no network cables are attached.
So maybe stop using truenas using them completely and only allow pci passthrough of them.

Help appreciated.

I am looking to maybe use truenas scale as my main server, but need these problems resolved before I consider it.

I presently have proxmox with truenas core and pfsesne virtualised and various containers on my main server.

indivision

Guru
I am given to understand the 'launch docker image' in the apps options lets you do this, but is greyed out.
How is this fixed?

Navigate to the "Available Applications" tab. The "Launch Docker Image" button should become active and work while in that tab.